1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Red Sex-linked

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bantam Bodon, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    What happens when a red sex linked rooster mates with a red sex linked hen? What are those chicks like? Are they just like the parents or are the their own thing? Are you able to tell the sex by the color like their parents??

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    They end up being a mix that is not sex-linked. Should still be reddish and good egglayers though.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can get all kinds of odd colors. The laying rate is quite good.

4. Syerf

Syerf Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    if the rooster is a red sex-link (that is to say the rooster is white) and is mated to a red sex-link hen then their all offspring should be white. If a red sex-link hen is mated to a red rooster then the offspring would be red.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This doesn't match out experience. We've bred red sex links many times and the results are very unpredictable. White birds with black splotches, white birds with lots of red leakage, reddish birds with "reverse" white patches, etc. Very odd.

RIR over a red sex link does not always produce all red chicks either. Most are reddish/orange, but a few always seem to "throw back" to weirdness. LOL

6. Syerf

Syerf Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012

I forgot that the roosters are carrying red so they would pass that on, touche.

As to black colouring I suppose it would depend on what red sex-link cross is being used.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Yeah Fred is correct, I forgot about all the different breeds that ccan be used in red sex link. Could be anything from barred (Delaware), Columbian (Light Sussex), and who knows what else. Could be a melting pot of varieties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by