Hatching Results

thomp119

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
North Tustin, CA
My mom and I are both kindergarten teachers (at different schools) who hatch chicken eggs for our open house projects. We share (at different times) a r-com 3 egg classroom incubator with a candling scope. It turns the eggs, keeps the temp and adjusts the humidity to where it needs to be. Basically, all you need to do is push the "chicken mode" on and check the water level and refill weekly and 21 days later, baby chicks are born. It comes with a candling scope, in which you take off the clear dome top and quickly add the scope top to candle your eggs. It prevents temp drops and excess movement of eggs. Pretty cool!

Here is a link to a picture of the incubator

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=21&tbs=isch:1&ei=ChDqS9OCH4ncswODx4HKBw

Anyway, its risky because it only incubates 3 eggs at a time... I have been lucky to hatch 3 out of 3 at times.. and none at all. Here are this year's results.

A friend of mine shipped 6 eggs to me. 5 made the journey and 3 went to the rcom 3 egger and I made a rinky-dink Styrofoam cooler incubator to incubate the 2 remaining eggs.

We places a white Bantam egg, an Aracauna and a Rhode Island Red egg. On mothers day (a day early) the Bantam egg hatched. In my rinky dink cooler.. which had temp swings, humidity issues, etc... BOTH eggs hatched!

Now there are two friends for my mom's lonely Bantam! Yay!

Most importantly.... (I forgot to mention this above) Thank you to all of the advice givers throught the process of this hatch
smile.png

Deb- I too am shocked that I was able to hatch any eggs with the 12 dollars I spent to make it (I had most of the supplies) it was almost too easy...with a lot of luck!

However, this forum was great to browse for problem solving ideas....it was the only reason I succeeded!

Back
Top Bottom