hatching shipped eggs

birdface

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Downingtown, Pa
I was thinking about buying some eggs to hatch. But i dont have an incubator and was thinking about having one of my hens sit on them once she starts laying her own eggs. Has anyone ever done this and did it work? She hasnt stated laying yet but should be within the next month or so.

My lovely Josephine (a barred rock) went broody and we quickly ordered some fertilizes eggs. She has hatched 2 clutches now and she looked after them beautifully. My husband decided it would be too cold outside for them so the first lot lived in the down stairs room. Great for us and the kids to be near them but it didn't last long as the smell got to us. The only problem for us is dealing with the inevitable roosters.

don't order eggs until she's stayed on the nest three nights in a row.... and even then you are taking a chance.

When I did what you are contemplating with my first broody, out of 8 eggs, 5 developed and not a single one hatched.

That's when I bought a rooster and then a couple of incubators.

I've mailed several batches of eggs out this year for broodies! I even had a chicken hatch out duck and turkey and guinea eggs that were shipped!!! and all of them still get along very well!
smile.png
As soon as you get a broody, contact me or another seller of eggs. And keep the hen broody by giving her a few infertile eggs to sit on until the shipped ones arrive! Nancy

I know id have to wait for her to go broody, any idea when that usally happens? Im sure it wont happen on her first go with laying, shes a cochin and i heard they go broody alot.
And, im not really excited about having roosters to try and get rid of, or try to figure out whats, what when they hatch. But im really trying to get ahold of some americunas and i think this is probably the only way.

Back
Top Bottom