Hatching Silkies, well.....Trying to hatch Silkies

renovationmom

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Texas Hill Country
I have silkies eggs, from my own healthy flock.

I incubate clean(free of poop)eggs at 101-102 in a clean(cleaned with bleach and water) still air, dry incubator(no water) with an automatic egg turner. I wash my hands before and after handling eggs with anti-bacterial soap.

I candle at 7 days, 90% are fertile, with veining, air sack and heartbeat(movement). I candle again at 18 days, and I can see movement, a vein or two and the air sack. The rest of the egg is full and dark.

Day 18, after candling, I place eggs in new carboard egg cartons, in a clean hatcher(cleaned with bleach and water), temperature 101-102 with a new, clean wet sponge, humidity runs 55-60 %.

I do not even get a pip. I re-candle the eggs after waiting 4 days, and there is no movement, I break the egg open, to find fully formed, dead chicks.

(btw-I just started using a splash of bleach in my hatching water because it was thought bacteria may have been the problem-which it may be-this is my first hatch using it, I do have one pip right now)

I did have some hatching eggs I purchased on-line, that came to me very dirty. I did the best I could to clean them, using a clean new scrubbie without getting them wet. I do not incubate my own eggs if they are dirty when I collect them, but since I paid a good deal of money for these shipped eggs, I went ahead and tried to hatch them. That seems to be when my problems started. Those eggs did not hatch, but I was not candling then, or doing eggtopsy's so I just assumed they were scrambled in the mail.

If it is a bacteria problem, would bacteria cause a chick to die before hatching? I have heard of a product to sanitize eggs before incubating them. Does anyone know its name, can I buy it at a feed store or TSC? Why are my chicks dying? What am I doing wrong? I hope someone can give me some suggestions please.

I don't know what to tell you,could be something is off.What are you checking temp with?
I have found the less OCD I am with the eggs the better they do and the less I mess with them as well.

what are you feeding them?

it could be their diet thats causing none of the chicks to hatch

Fully formed but no pip or hatch is usually humidity at the end of hatch. I would raise the humdity to 70% and needless to say don't open after lockdown. If the chicks are developing, its not the OCD of cleaning the eggs which I don't really think is necessary. Wiping them off before setting is fine but I wouldn't scrub them either. I also wouldn't use bleach in the water in an incubator. I have heard of putting a couple drops of vinigar. Bleach fumes are toxic and I certainly wouldn't want to be in an enclosed space breathing that in.

Hate to say but think you are a bit obsessive about cleaning and using bleach. I never clean eggs going into an incubator. Obviously I don't put dirty eggs in an incubator though. Eggs that I get that have been shipped are usually pretty clean. You might reconsider of not using bleach and being so obsessive about cleanliness. But because you had fully formed chicks and none hatched I think it might have been your humidity being to low. Are you using a forced air or still air incubator? Do you use a digital thermometer w/ a water weasel/water snake. If you use this method then the temp should be 99.5 be it a forced air or still air. My incubator which is forced air ranges in temp from 99-100. I'm not to worried about the 1/2 degree temp difference. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Layer crumbles all year round, In the warm months, yogurt for a treat(probiotics), watermellon(its been hot) as a treat, grapes(good for digestion), and greens. They eat bettter then I do, lol. Could any of this be bad? In the cool months, I give them scrambled eggs with buttermilk and some scratch, as treats.

Quote:
Actually, I only started using the bleach when it was suggeted to me, someone thought my chicks were dying because of a bacteria problem. I prefer to go back to using anti-bac soap to clean my bators, rather then the bleach. And my eggs, I just do not incubate any that have poop on them. I have a still air incubator. I have 2 digital thermometer/digital humidity gauges, and 1 manuel type. I will raise my humidity up as you suggest.

Please tell me about the water weasel/water snake? I have not heard of this. Is this a water toy? Thanks for the help
bow.gif

Quote:
Thank you. I will do as you suggest, and raise up the humidity. The egg scrubing and bleach was something suggested to me as a solution to this problem, as it was thought the cause of the eggs not hatching was due to bacteria. It is my preference to use anti-bac soap to clean the bators, avoid putting eggs in that are dirty, and I had always used bottled water for the incubator, and a new, clean sponge for every hatch, I will omit the bleach in the incubator water.(I may try the vineagar if raising the humidity does not work, but I am confident it will)

Thank you for your help!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom