Hatching Some Eggs

champers44

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2016
I noticed yesterday that about 4 of my eggs in the incubator have been moving. Now I don't think they have moved in a while...did they die or is this normal?

by day 21 they are pretty cramped in the shell, they'll pip and then zip around but it takes a lot of energy and they'll take rest breaks, i think you're OK, good luck with the hatch!!

So it has been about 4 hours and still no movement from what I have seen. Is there a possibility they have died or do they rest for this long?

So the only reason I have opened the incubator was to get some chicks out, but before I did I made sure that there were no external pips. I still haven't seen any eggs move. Could I candle them to make sure they're alive?

I have some questions. I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I need help! My baby ducks had a lot of trouble hatching. Never did the unzipping process or rotated in the shell. Just pipped and then no change for well over 24 hours. I read up and ended up slowly helping them hatch. They are in a incubator now. They absorbed all the yoke and physically look like they should. Yet they are very weak. I'm thinking exhaustion? Not making much noise if any and one won't even hold her head up. They also haven't dried. They have been out of the shell almost 12 hours now. My last clutch hatched with mom and fired very quickly and became cute fluffy little babies. I have been giving them sugar water and they open and close their beak quickly and seem to be swallowing it. I have never done this before so any advice would be appreciated to get these guys to make it. Is there anything else I can do? Why haven't they dried yet?

Please help!!

Luvorng: After an assisted hatch (with chicks) I do not offer any liquids until they are dried off, and up and walking on their own. To try to get liquids in soon after hatch is to risk aspiration. Was there any bleeding when you took them out of the shell? What kind of ducks? They could be very weak, and stressed from the assist. Did they pip on day 28? Were the membranes dry when you opened the eggs? Yolks absorbed? A lot can be determined by what you see when you open up. Have you read ALL of "hatching eggs 101" in the learning center. There's a wealth of information that will help your next hatch to be more successful. I've not hatched ducks in an incubator so can't help you with specifics. But, I can tell you that I rarely assist with a hatch until the pip has gone on for 24 hours, or until the rest of the chicks are out, depending on what is going on. By waiting an extended time, IMO, I avoid the complications of an early assist: bleeding, ruptured vessels, unabsorbed yolk. After the hatch and the chicks are up and moving, I usually can't tell the difference between them and the chicks that did not need assist. After that... I get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into the whole lot of them.
So the only reason I have opened the incubator was to get some chicks out, but before I did I made sure that there were no external pips. I still haven't seen any eggs move. Could I candle them to make sure they're alive?
I would wait till the end of the day. Then candle, and assess from there. You can also tap and chirp at them, and see if there is any response. Is your humidity up to 65%? Did they hatch on day 21?

Luvorng:  After an assisted hatch (with chicks) I do not offer any liquids until they are dried off, and up and walking on their own.  To try to get liquids in soon after hatch is to risk aspiration.  Was there any bleeding when you took them out of the shell?  What kind of ducks?  They could be very weak, and stressed from the assist.  Did they pip on day 28?  Were the membranes dry when you opened the eggs?  Yolks absorbed?  A lot can be determined by what you see when you open up.  Have you read ALL of "hatching eggs 101" in the learning center.  There's a wealth of information that will help your next hatch to be more successful.  I've not hatched ducks in an incubator so can't help you with specifics.  But, I can tell you that I rarely assist with a hatch until the pip has gone on for 24 hours, or until the rest of the chicks are out, depending on what is going on.  By waiting an extended time, IMO, I avoid the complications of an early assist:  bleeding, ruptured vessels, unabsorbed yolk.  After the hatch and the chicks are up and moving, I usually can't tell the difference between them and the chicks that did not need assist.  After that... I get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into the whole lot of them.  
I would wait till the end of the day.  Then candle, and assess from there.  You can also tap and chirp at them, and see if there is any response.  Is your humidity up to 65%?  Did they hatch on day 21?

Back
Top Bottom