Hatching Thread

MarshyRooster

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
I am putting three chicken eggs into the incubator today. This thread is for all my questions on them. Thank you so much! I don't have any questions right now, but I can guess I'll be coming to this thread soon.

Thanks! I'm not sure what breeds they are. The breeds of my hens are pretty scrambled. I only know we have two Golden-Laced Wyandottes, and I think an Ameracauna Easter Egger. I really hope they hatch, though. I'm going to read to them :). I'm very excited, it's great to have the incbuator on again. And name ideas are welcome (especially if they end in wing. Gingerwing, Silverwing, and others.)!

Thanks! I'm not sure what breeds they are. The breeds of my hens are pretty scrambled. I only know we have two Golden-Laced Wyandottes, and I think an Ameracauna Easter Egger. I really hope they hatch, though. I'm going to read to them :). I'm very excited, it's great to have the incbuator on again. And name ideas are welcome (especially if they end in wing. Gingerwing, Silverwing, and others.)!
So happy for you! I have glws too. The chick i hatched is actually a glw. I named it Wickett because I thought is was a cute name and you are free to use that name too. Lightwing, goldwing, duckwing, bigwing, littlewing, mediumwing, I'm really no good at naming things lol

Wickett is a great name! And I really like Lightwing and Goldwing. I'll talk to the eggs about using those :)!
Also, I have a few questions now- is 21 the usual day when they hatch? I just put them in yesterday (happy Easter, by the way, if you celebrate it), so I'm not expecting any hatching yet, of course. I think 21 is the usual day, but I'm not 100% certain. Also, if they don't hatch on Day 21, do I give them a few more days? If so, how many? And can they hatch early?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, when should I give them water for the humidity, and when should I candle them? I want to do it daily, but I don't want to hurt them. Would daily be safe? And if so, should I stop when they're close to hatch?

Never mind about those questions, I did some research :). I have a more important one than those ones, honestly. The middle egg is developing (it's Day Six now, it started yesterday). It has an eye, and a few veins. But the body seems to be a curve, and I'm worried it's one of the curves in eggs that signals the chick is dead :(. And it didn't move (I don't think). Should that worry me?
Also, in the other two I just see a yolk. Should that worry me? Should they have started developing? How long should I give them before replacing them? I REALLY don't want to replace them, but since I don't want to wind up with a single chick for the third time (Dawnwing got some friends, but unfortunately, with Marshy we didn't even think of it) I might have to. And I'd want to know when so that Russetwing won't need to be alone for too long.
Thanks! Please answer soon, I'm worried about the two undeveloped eggs, and really worried about the developing one.

Never mind about those questions, I did some research :). I have a more important one than those ones, honestly. The middle egg is developing (it's Day Six now, it started yesterday). It has an eye, and a few veins. But the body seems to be a curve, and I'm worried it's one of the curves in eggs that signals the chick is dead :(. And it didn't move (I don't think). Should that worry me?
Also, in the other two I just see a yolk. Should that worry me? Should they have started developing? How long should I give them before replacing them? I REALLY don't want to replace them, but since I don't want to wind up with a single chick for the third time (Dawnwing got some friends, but unfortunately, with Marshy we didn't even think of it) I might have to. And I'd want to know when so that Russetwing won't need to be alone for too long.
Thanks! Please answer soon, I'm worried about the two undeveloped eggs, and really worried about the developing one.
I’m sorry no one answered your thread. That’s frustrating :barnie How was your hatch?

@FeatherTay , thanks for asking!
It was a late hatch. I was up so late staring at the egg and reading to it that when it actually hatched, no one could wake me up!
Buut it was a great hatch. Sadly, only one chick hatched. Her name is Dove. She's a few weeks old now, definitely has hints of her father in her. She has a great personality- feisty and a bit naughty, yes, but I'd rather have a feisty chicken than a chicken with no personality. She also got two friends when she was a few days old: Ebony and Sandstorm!

Soon, they'll meet the Winglets, a trio of pullets called Dawnwing, Moonwing and Breezewing, and- plot twist!- Dawnwing, Dove's big sister!

:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom