Hatching under a broody- are the eggs done hatching???

WaddleWaddle

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Culpeper, VA
Yesterday was day 21 and 4 chicks have hatched out of 8. There are still 4 eggs in the nest without any pips that I can see. The hen has been very dedicated this entire time and in an enclosed 2'x6' area in the coop. She got up for food and water and her 4 chicks followed her. She ate and drank and went back to the nest with the chicks but has since moved off the nest with the chicks leaving the 4 unhatched eggs. Should I remove those eggs or wait? We are on day 22 now.

Did you candle the eggs while she was setting? If they were fertile and developing, you might want to rig a 'temporary' incubator to warm them for another day or so.

I did candle them while she was setting. It was on day 17/18. I will try to rig something up. Should I candle them before trying to incubate them?

I would just go ahead and try to supply heat to them. Very frequently a hen will leave the nest site within 24 to 36 hours of the first chick hatching. There are probably several inborn instinctive reasons for this.

Well, if they are chilled, it will take them a bit to warm up - I'd go at least another 24 to 36 hours. Good luck. This is one reason that I do not like staggered hatches - where eggs are added to the clutch during the incubation period.

Try getting them warm again (tricky without another broody hen or an incubator). Some will tell you that 50% hatch on shipped eggs is good, but I hope that you hatch more.

Silly me I was so worried about these little guys that I totally forgot about the silkie on the other side of the coop sitting on the other half of the egg order!!!! *palm to face* I put the eggs under her so we will see!

Back
Top Bottom