Hatching under a broody - help!

@CTKen no progress this morning :-( in fact, the egg had been rolled back further under mum. I helped it along by pulling off as much membrane and shell as I could. Near the bottom was a bloody yellowish sack looking area (at least somewhere where no feathers had grown ) so I left that bit alone. There was no movement from the chicken that I could see. I've put it back under mum until I get home from work later but I don't think it's made it. None of the other eggs have pipped yet (day 22). We've gone from really hot weather to rainy and cold in the last few days. I wonder if that has had an impact?

Bummer - sorry about that. Weather variations could have confused mum a little I guess. A possible contributory factor could be her lack of hatching experience. Sometimes they need a bit of experience to get it right. I only use one hen to hatch - she's the alpha hen and goes broody when there's "y" in the day of the week :) but by golly can she raise chicks! In fact I only keep her because of her hatching prowess.

Either way, try not to be downhearted - keeping chooks can be a challenge and it only seems to go to plan most often with experience (both human and chicken) and even then, I'm sure even the most experienced chicken owners get a curve ball every now and again.

Onwards and upwards!

Keep your chin up

Ct

Thanks @CTKen - certainly had a few learning experiences over the last few months! :-( Rosie goes broody all the time so I may try again in the future. We'll see.

Thanks @CTKen - certainly had a few learning experiences over the last few months! :-( Rosie goes broody all the time so I may try again in the future. We'll see.

You are most welcome and for sure try again - she'll get the hang of it and I assure you, there's nothing more heartwarming than seeing mum with her chicks ambling around the garden!

Definitely dead when I got home :-( wondering how long to wait before I give up on the remaining three eggs? On day 22 now and no pips. I thought I could feel movement in one of them today but not 100%.

Just leave them be.

It may be the first chick hatched too early and was not developed enough to get out of the egg.

No harm leaving the rest of the eggs a few more days.

If nothing happened about 5 days you can throw them away.

Just leave them be.

It may be the first chick hatched too early and was not developed enough to get out of the egg.

No harm leaving the rest of the eggs a few more days.

If nothing happened about 5 days you can throw them away.

I agree
Ct

Back
Top Bottom