Hatching

HELP!!! I don't know what's going on with the last chick, he piped and he's not making any sound, but you can see his beak opening and closing and bubbles coming out, its been going on for the last 2hours. What do I do? I'm at loss, that can't be normal?

5 hours as of now. It appears to have labored breathing. The inner membrane that I can see is still vascular. Still no sound only breathing motion with the bubbles. Still in the egg without any progress.

The bubbles are not normal but if you go ahead and assist now the chick will most likely die as its still vascular and would just bleed to death. The bubbles could be because it's pipped the wrong end and it's getting used to breathing air and not having to live in a liquid environment. Have a read of this article in its entirety. Wrong end pips need more time than a normal pip as they have missed out their internal pip and gone straight for an external pip.

Here is the article, it has a section on malpositioned chicks ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Time is what your chick needs right now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, but I don't think I'll help out just yet. I don't think he's ready for the help yet. I do have some good news or at least I think its good, he just started to chirp and the bubbles stopped. The inner membrane is still very vascular so I'm going to wait, and wait some more. So I guess I hope that the lungs just weren't ready and he just needed time to adjust. Fingers crossed

Great news the chick is doing awesome, he is chirping, scratching, eating, & drinking. He had a rocky start, the first few days after he hatched I wasn't sure if he would make it. When he was old enough to be put with the other chicks he sat directly under the heat lamp and slept. After 2 days of that he started to drink and eat, and now he's just another chick in their little flock.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom