Hatching!

Kaolru

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I went down to add water to the incubator tonight, and I was greeted by a wiggling egg! I only have six in there. Three Cayugas and three Cayuga/Khaki crosses. Today is day 25 so the first day of no turning the eggs, humidity increase and temp decrease.

Not sure if you guys remember me much, but I was excited. :)

Anyway, I think only this one egg will hatch. They were all fertile, but we've had two power outages, one malfunction, and it's just been a struggle. When I candled the other eggs a day or so ago, I couldn't see a beak poking through the air sack at all. I thought I saw one, but I can't quite remember, let alone which one it was. Still, I'm going to leave them alone. It sucks that I have work tomorrow.

Question. An egg that suddenly has a greyish spot on it that appears to be coming from right inside the shell is a rotting egg, right? I can't smell anything, but I did notice a spot on one of the eggs. One of the Cayuga ones unfortunately. :(

Another, less important, question. Khaki's are weird. I know they don't go broody very often, but my hen has laid nine eggs in a nest that she made herself...but she pays no attention to it. She just lays them and then leaves. I thought if they weren't broody they wouldn't make a nest at all and would just lay wherever. I left the eggs there because I didn't know if she'd sit once she laid so many or not. To heck with that, now I'm going to clean out those old eggs and collect both my girls' eggs again so I'll be ready for another hatch. :)

Okay, thank you. Sorry about that.
Miss Lydia meant that we hatch addicts hang out in that thread. :)

I answer you over there too.

Just gradually bring your humidity up to 60-65. Let it sit there a day, then slowly up to 70-75. A dark spot on the egg doesn't necessarily mean something bad, so watch that egg too. And keep us posted!

Miss Lydia meant that we hatch addicts hang out in that thread. :)

I answer you over there too.

Just gradually bring your humidity up to 60-65. Let it sit there a day, then slowly up to 70-75. A dark spot on the egg doesn't necessarily mean something bad, so watch that egg too. And keep us posted!
Thanks QJ I didn't mean the question couldn't be asked anywhere else just that you ladies know more than most about hatching. lol in bators especially.

caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom