Hatching

albrightbears

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
I know that this might be a stupid question. But I would like to know if there would be any way to hatch an store bought egg. If I get a dozen of eggs from the store if they would hatch. I have some eggs to hatch but I don't have many of them. And I would like a bigger batch to try hatching.
Thanks,
Albrightbears

chooks4life

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Australia
Almost as a universal rule, no, you won't be able to hatch them because the majority of egg producers do not keep roosters.

Some keep on-farm rooster stud stock but almost as a rule, they are kept separate from all hens all the time until some hens are put in with them temporarily to breed, and those eggs are not sold; some roosters never see hens, the breeding is done via artificial insemination, and those eggs are not sold either.

If you want to try to hatch storebought eggs you need to find a producer who sells fertile eggs. A small percentage of the market prefers fertile eggs but most non-farming people think they're 'gross'.

A better bet is to buy from someone with a good track record online. Many people on this site buy their eggs from websites, I don't know what ones as I don't do it, but someone may be able to help you.

Best wishes.

MargaretAnneHK

Songster
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Kellogg,Minnesota
I think this is very rare too, but I have heard of people hatching chicken eggs from Trader Joe's.
But I would take the previous posters advice and just get the eggs from a producer. You might also have luck advertising on this site or even craigslist for hatching eggs.

Top Bottom