Hatching

albrightbears

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
i have a 18 chicken eggs but it looks like 6 of them don't have development in them and 6 duck eggs. i have been keeping the temp. at 99-101 range. The question i have is when it is time to do the lock down is the humidity. I don't have a reader to tell me what it would be at so how would i be able to make sure that i get a good out come of hatch-lings

i have a 18 chicken eggs but it looks like 6 of them don't have development in them and 6 duck eggs. i have been keeping the temp. at 99-101 range. The question i have is when it is time to do the lock down is the humidity. I don't have a reader to tell me what it would be at so how would i be able to make sure that i get a good out come of hatch-lings

What kind of incubator is it? I use a 4 inch x 1.5 inch sponge and soak it with lukewarm water before placing it in the incubator. I use a Little Giant styrofoam incubator. I fill the reservoirs with water and place the wet sponge in on the 18th day. You can get a digital hygrometer/thermometer for just a few bucks and it will take the guesswork out of it.
thumbsup.gif

i am using an still air incubator. thats all i know. I have had the eggs in there and here in about a week and a half it will be time to do lock down. I don't have a turner for it i just put the eggs in a cartoon with the large end up and keep it at the range of 99 to 101 temp. there is development in some of the eggs but not sure of all of them because of them being brown eggs and its been only two weeks this friday the 16th. and the duck eggs that i have in with them are doing good to i see the development in those and a couple of them i saw movement. the only thing is the humidity i am not sure of. Thanks for any info and tips for a good out come of hatch-lings.

i have done some candling on the eggs and took out any eggs that was clear and had no mass in the egss. But the others eggs that has some mass in them i don't know if there okay or not. Every photo i have seen that the candling of the egg they put the big in down to candle them. i have put the eggs in a cartoon with the small end downwards and the big end up knowing that the air sac would form there. and when i candle them and put the light on the small end it clear and the big end has the mass in it. is that right that the mass of the egg is toward the big end and the light shines through the small end. Please some one tell me or give me some insight or tips on the eggs setting in the incubator thanks

i have done some candling on the eggs and took out any eggs that was clear and had no mass in the egss. But the others eggs that has some mass in them i don't know if there okay or not. Every photo i have seen that the candling of the egg they put the big in down to candle them. i have put the eggs in a cartoon with the small end downwards and the big end up knowing that the air sac would form there. and when i candle them and put the light on the small end it clear and the big end has the mass in it. is that right that the mass of the egg is toward the big end and the light shines through the small end. Please some one tell me or give me some insight or tips on the eggs setting in the incubator thanks

The air sac should be at the big end. When I candle my eggs I shine the light through the big end. You should see movement after about 14 days.

thank you for all the insight. Now i am lost in the hatching process. i just did the last candling of the eggs before i did lock down and some of the eggs the air sac formed on the small end and the mass is at the big end is that normal. and that most of the eggs are only have filled of mass and i really can't tell if there is movement or not its still hard for me to see clearly since there the brown eggs. So is there something i can do or any other tips on the egg hatching.

my eggs have been on lock down now for two days and there is one duck egg started to crack the shell since the first day of lock down and no more progress so how long will it be before the baby duck breaks completely thru the shell.

Back
Top Bottom