Hatchling Serama chick attacking it's siblings

Hello, I've been breeding and raising Serama's about 2 years now, but have never had this occur. On Tuesday I had 5 out of 7 eggs hatch. I left them in the incubator until the next day then placed them in a 2' x 4' brooder with a red hundred watt bulb as I usually do. Within a few hours of placing them in the brooder one of them began attacking the others. Biting their backs, faces, feet, wings, etc. It actually bit and held on to the wing of one and pulled it across the brooder. At first I thought it was establishing pecking order, but it kept attacking the others relentlessly.
I ended up putting it in it's own makeshift brooder, with a small mirror and stuffed animal, last night. Today after it's (time out) I thought perhaps it would go to the bottom of the pecking order. Within a minute, it picked up where it left off last night so he's back in solitary again.

I've read many posts about older chicks becoming aggressive, but not a hatchling.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you stop the attacks. It's so tiny to be such a BIG bully.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've read a few other posts like this. I would recommend separating it for a while longer. Give the other chicks time to bond to each other then try putting it back in. Or, wait until its time to introduce them to your older flock (if that's the plan) and let the little booger fend for itself. Good luck!

It is very strange for a hatchling to do this! I have always heard older chicks doing this, but never a hatchling! But you are doing the right thing. You could try letting the other chicks get used to each other, and then put the chick back, just like howfunkyisurchicken said. Also, if you don't want him being all by himself, you could get a chick that he seems to somewhat get along with. Hope this helps!!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you howfunkyisurchicken and olijo123 for your suggestions.
On Friday afternoon I followed the advice of another BYC member and placed 1/4" hardware cloth down the center of the brooder putting the little bully on one side and the rest on the other side. They've been able to see one another but he's not been able to get to them to bite them. Today I decided to give him another chance and placed him with the others. They all got along and I've since removed the divider. That was 12 hours ago and it's still peaceful in brooder-land.
thumbsup.gif

Hopefully the drama has passed. If this ever happens again, I'll be prepared. I still can't believe it happened at all.
hu.gif

Thank you howfunkyisurchicken and olijo123 for your suggestions.
On Friday afternoon I followed the advice of another BYC member and placed 1/4" hardware cloth down the center of the brooder putting the little bully on one side and the rest on the other side. They've been able to see one another but he's not been able to get to them to bite them. Today I decided to give him another chance and placed him with the others. They all got along and I've since removed the divider. That was 12 hours ago and it's still peaceful in brooder-land.
thumbsup.gif

Hopefully the drama has passed. If this ever happens again, I'll be prepared. I still can't believe it happened at all.
hu.gif

Your very welcome! I am glad he doesn't bully the others anymore!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom