Have a emergency, my little pullet can barely walk, keeps tipping over and more

Vivinski

Hatching
Jun 21, 2023
To cut straight to the point,

I have this little pullet I love dearly, she’s the sweetest chicken I have ever owned so far.
Recently however she hasn’t been doing so good, first I realised she’d tip over a bit when walking fast.

however now it’s to the point where she can’t even stand up properly, whenever she does she tips over backwards or sideways and she has her legs splayed out infrount of her too. Besides this she is lively though and is eating, grooming, trying to stand sometimes etc.

If anyone has any information please do tell me and please tell me anyway I could help her, my other family members are threatening to put her down but I just cannot stand having this little one put down, it’d break my heart to see her go.

❤️

I’m hoping someone response: I’m having the same issue as Vivian’s.

Out of 18 chickens, I have one 3 1/2 year old black langshan chicken that can’t stand or walk. I have been supplementing with vitamin E with egg and B- complex for three weeks but she has progressively gotten worse. I’ve checked ears visually and with q-tip. Nothing obvious to note. Eyes look good. Comb and wattles are red. No mites or lice observed. She’s eating and drinking and otherwise seems unfazed by it. Crop and poop appears normal. Vent and Abdomen look and feels normal. Seems happy to lay in the box that holds her semi-upright while laying down. She leans to her left side. She shakes her head a little bit like she’s saying “no” but it’s not extreme. When I stand her up, she seems to stand on her toes stiff legged at first. She falls forward, backwards and to her left unless I’m holding her. She puffs up when trying to stand or walk and raises her tail up which again causes her to fall forward with momentum. She’s unstable in all directions but She collapses always to her left side. She did have some raised leg scales and treated for scaly leg mites just in case. There’s no evidence of bumblefoot. Not sure if there is a sensitivity in the lower legs or if it’s her normal response but when I touch her lower legs, She twitches and pushes/kicks her feet away like she doesn’t like being touched there. They are not hot nor do I see any abnormalities. No external injuries or bruising observed anywhere.

Other than an unknown internal injury in the joint or infection or disease, I don’t know what else to try.
Should I start an antibiotic for an internal infection that’s affecting her legs? If disease, such as Mareks how long can she go?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Could she be blind in one eye? Maybe deaf? Perhaps it’s a genetically inherited behavior?

Where did you get her?

How does she “talk”? Have you noticed any abnormalities or changes in her clucks, chortles, or other vocalizations? Any differences between the sounds she makes and those of the other chickens?

Could she be blind in one eye? Maybe deaf? Perhaps it’s a genetically inherited behavior?

Where did you get her?

How does she “talk”? Have you noticed any abnormalities or changes in her clucks, chortles, or other vocalizations? Any differences between the sounds she makes and those of the other chickens?
Thanks for responding. Not blind or deaf. She’s pretty alert. She talks when I pick her up and sometimes does a guttural growl on her own. I really think there is something wrong with her legs maybe more so her right. They’re sensitive to the touch and she stiffens them when I stand her up but she will not use them for balance.

I got her as well as all my others from Tractor Supply.

Back
Top Bottom