Have a question about the heat, and a new chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WRBH, Jul 22, 2008.

1. WRBH

WRBH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Williford, AR
    I was wondering how long the chick will be okay before it needs to drink, in the heat we have going right now. It's only 89, but with Humidity is alot hotter. Yesterday was over 100. They are also in a hen house, so is warmer in there. Also know chick is weak to start with after hatching, when should I worry?? I just don't want to lose this chick, means alot to me, I'm not use to feeling this helpless. Other chicks since Hens attacked them I just brought them in here where I am currently raising them, plus 6 week olds that I just bought. But want to leave the chicks out there with the hens they are under, so they can raise them, they deserve it after all of the work they have done.. Oh heck, feel like an idiot, kinda just want some reassurance that it will be okay,lol

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I think you may want to dip the chick's beak in water to get it to start drinking as soon as possible. Usually chicks are okay for 72 hours after hatch, but with the heat like it is it may be a good idea to give it a little bit of a jump start. If the chick doesn't drink on its own within a day or so after hatch and it's really hot out that's when I would dip its beak. Good luck, maybe someone else can give you more advice!!!

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We usually separate the broody hen and her chicks from the rest of the flock for the first 4 weeks. It is typical chicken behavior for the rest of the flock to attack the broody and her chicks.

If you want the mama hen to raise her chicks, you need to provide her a safe place to do so. It can be a large dog crate, so long as the chicks can't get out and the rest of your flock can't get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by