Have an amazing rooster but just discovered another hen is a rooster

Elemental

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
Tehachapi
Hi Chickies,

I have an absolutely amazing rooster that was given to me. He is protective of his flock and keeps an eye on us humans but is never aggressive. I never thought of having a Barred Rock rooster but I have to say I am blessed to have this gentleman watching over the flock.

But.... a small (bottom of the pecking order) Buff Laced Polish (Punk) has started crowing and trying to mate with the hens. I'm pretty sure he is a rooster and not just a confused hen. The unbelievable thing is that the Barred Rock rooster (Rocky) is even gentle with Punk. He just runs over and makes a little noise if Punk "disturbs" one of the 14 hens. Rocky doesn't attack Punk he just blusters and struts then seems to ask the hen if she is ok.
love.gif

I guess the situation is ok. I will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
That's good news! Often if there's enough space, two roosters can get along just fine. A lot of it has to do with the temperament of the roos involved, the amount of space available, and the number of hens.
If the younger one decides he wants to challenge the older, there may be problems though, so definitely keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom