Have an opportunity to get wort from Microbrewery

mrwoodboat

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
I may have lined up a source for wort from a local micro brewery very close to my work. I will have more details this week but they are eager for someone to pick up the wort (grains and hops) from them. So not sure how often I will be picking this up but I thought that if I bring it home, I would wash it and let it drain out on some frames I made with screen wire, maybe blow it off with some forced hot air, then package it up in gallon freezer bags.
My question is this- is this a good diet or do I need to supplement it with layer pellets for my birds. WIth 28 birds, I am going through about 50 lbs of pellets each week plus about 1/2 gallon of scratch. I do give them all of our tablescraps and some greens during the week.
Thanks

I feed spent grain when we brew but have never bothered with washing or otherwise processing it. They don't mind the hop bitterness at all. I just put a gallon bucket of it in the refrigerator and spread it out over a week as a treat. More like a sub for scratch than their main feed. I'm not sure how much protein it has but I'd guess it's a bit low because the yeast isn't in there yet.

Back
Top Bottom