Have chickens, want ducks. What do I need?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kristenm1975, May 11, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've been interested in ducks for a long time but thought I'd have to do a full set up for them and wasn't sure if I had the time or materials for that. I've been hearing recently though that they can just be in with the chickens in the coop and run so long as they have fresh water deep enough to cover their heads in.

Any words of advice? Also,, what kinds are quiet and lay lots of eggs? I have a patient man, but I don't want to push it. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
  3. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I have runners, they are hilarious and lay an egg each every day. They've been pretty easy to keep with the chickens, once everyone was out of the brooder.

4. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Comment on noise levels....I have khakis (relatively quiet), a rouen (quiet) and a pekin (really loud and obnoxious!), but cute! Read lots on this site and you'll find out everything you want to know! I think ducks are awesome.

5. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    You need to waterproof the floor of your coop if it is not already!

They will splash enough water to rot the wooden floor in less than a year.

Ducks are ducks. They like water. There is even a saying for it..."like a duck to water"....ring a bell? There is NOTHING you can do about their constant playing in the water.

And non-medicated feed, if it is what you give your chickens, it MUST STOP. The medication in it is diosed on the approximate intake of a chicken...and ducks eat waaaay more...and can overdose.

Some breeds of ducks are VERY loud. Runners, cayugas, and pekins are my noisiest.

Magpies and anconas are moderate noise makers. And they chase flies around the yard, which is HILARIOUS.

My quiet ducks are .......drakes.

I have heard that muscovies are very very very quiet/near silent, and EXCELLENT layers AND brooders. I have heard of them hatching on their own a clutch of 30 babies in spring and a secnd clutch of 26 in the fall!!!

But they look funny.

Do some research, because whatever you get, you will fall in love with!!

Good luck!

6. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    My muscovies are VERY quiet and wonderful. But, my runners are hilarious and fun. They are more mumblers than anything else and they don't require much water. They march more than swim.
    Runners lay LOTS and LOTS of eggs!!!! Some lay over 300 a year!

Let me know if you need eggs or ducklings.

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I have mallards and they are also very quiet. My DH is very interested in cayugas. Not to hijack your post...but I was just wondering what is their temperament? Any other tips would be very helpful as well.

8. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I love ducks.. mine are only 2 weeks old but they have SO much personallity. We named them kirby and hoover because they walk around ducking up eeeeverything. But they're awesome. They definitely are wet though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by