Have Ducks have problem with blood like chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mackie n chicks, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    Spotted blood on one of the my ducks this morning-she may have been attacked by a rat - can she remain with her flock? or do ducks do the same as chickens and attack the other chicken because they have a problem with red and blood? Is she safe to stay with her friends or do I separate her? Any ideas folks?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I would separate her. I've only had one duck with a bleeding injury, and that was caused by an aggressive drake. My duck really separated herself from the flock all on her own. I used Epsom Salt baths and she healed up in a jiffy. I don't know where you are located, but if its warm and you've got flies, you will need to prevent bugs from getting into the wounds. But def start with the Epsom Salt baths. I never measure, just aim for a good solution, say 1/4cup per gal of warmish water. Don't allow your duck to drink that solution tho- it is a laxative and could create more problems.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, but the wounds will need to be treated and observance made for infection. HDF, has good advice on that, now you need to find out what happened and see what can be done to prevent it from happening again.

How seriously is it injured?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by