1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have I done everything to break a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by max101, Oct 14, 2009.

1. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    I have a pekin chicken around a year old. She has gone broody on me. I have tried everything to break her.
    I have wet her, even given her a bath.
    Kept her in the house for a couple of hours.
    Cooled her underside down as she has pulled her feathers out.
    I have taken all the eggs away what else can I try??
    How long do they stay broody for??
    I keep moving her off the nest and she eats and gets a drink and I swear she waits for me to leave then jumps back in her nest. I would shut the door but my other chickens gets upset if I do that.
    She even bundles the hay in a ball shape to sit on. Is it possible to stop this Or am I wasting my time??
    Thanks

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    The only way i have ever had work is completely isolate her from the nest, either lock her up or lock the nest up. If you she keeps getting access she won't stop until something hatches, she dies, or gives up after months.

Being isolated from the nest she will stop anywhere from a day later to a week at most by my experience.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I had a broody sumatra all summer. I let her hatch 9 chicks in the spring. As soon as they left her side she was broody again. I didn't let her have any eggs this time, but the others would kick her off the nest to lay their eggs. She kept everything warm and safe until I collected them. I tried carrying her around with me, closing her out of the coop, etc. Nothing worked. Then I decided to move the nest boxes to make more space. She didn't like that one bit and hasn't been broody since.

4. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

While caging is probably the best solution, I didn't have that option readily available. So I kept my broody out of the coop/pen all day. A couple hours won't do it. From dawn to dusk she was in the yard (with access to food and water) by herself. At night she was back in the coop, but I covered up the nesting box. It took only two full days, and the broodiness was broken. Good luck.

5. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    excellent thank you very much I am going to remove nest boxes and place her well away from them and not let her near her cage for a full day. I hope this works Thanks again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by