Have I hurt my Silkie hen?

Pam Smith

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2018
Her egg was outside of her and I paniced and didn't know what to do so i put warm water on it then i cut the membrane around the egg. will she die now, because i didnt know it was egg bound? I checked on her she is dripping a liquid of what looks like blood and water. I am just sick about this. I dont know what to do help me please!

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. This has happened many times before when a hen has a prolapsed vent while being egg bound. It can be diificult to find the opening in the membrane to get the egg out. Did you get it out? Stop the bleeding with pressure, and a dry pad. It can be cleaned with saline or water, and then dried and apply Vetericyn or plain neosporin ointment. Can hour hen poop now? This video shows how to get the egg out normally:

Do I understand you correctly, you cut the membrane around the egg meaning the vent?
What "membrane" did you cut?

@casportpony @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @dawg53 @WVduckchick
Yes I cut the membrane that was around the egg I had no idea it was an egg bound egg I had a hen a while back different hen who I thought was egg bound and I put her in warm water and then she Gatorade but when I went out yesterday and this egg was just hanging out of her I panicked and I put her in warm water but I did not know what that was around the eggs so I guess I cut it and I put her back in the pen and I checked on her last night and she was in the coop and little bit of blood and clear liquid was Dripping and I think that I might have really hurt her and I don't know what to do.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. This has happened many times before when a hen has a prolapsed vent while being egg bound. It can be diificult to find the opening in the membrane to get the egg out. Did you get it out? Stop the bleeding with pressure, and a dry pad. It can be cleaned with saline or water, and then dried and apply Vetericyn or plain neosporin ointment. Can hour hen poop now? This video shows how to get the egg out normally:
I didnt know what to do and i panicked and cut the sack. Is my chicken going to die?

Back
Top Bottom