Have I made a permanent mistake?

Just another tip, aquariums are kind of iffy as brooders. They're good for the first few days/week when ducklings and chicks are little but can cause issues (upper respiratory) later as they get bigger and make more of a mess. Aquariums/glass tanks hold a lot of humidity.

But also good job taking the time to work with them! I hope everything goes well for you and your little ones. :hugs
I was thinking of a massive one of at least 150 gallons- 400 gallons. I figured I could find one that was not aquarium worthy due to hairline crack, but big enough to last 3 weeks, or have hubby make something 4x4 or 6x6 ft. I did see an area somebody set up for ducks that was big enough to walk in. We actually have an area that is heated and maybe 12'x12' with linoleum floor. That might work as well for future broods. These guys are slowly starting to recognize me again. I need to go feed them again now. I'm pretty sure they will respond. I've always been very good with animals and worked for a vet for 8 years before I switched to human medicine. I also fostered some very difficult dogs over 20 years, so I know I must have the skills. I was just taken very aback, when they abruptly switched behavior. I wasn't anticipating any problems, but kids and animals have a way of testing us LOL

Thank you and everyone for the kind words and talking me down off the ledge! LMBO
Holly

I was thinking of a massive one of at least 150 gallons- 400 gallons. I figured I could find one that was not aquarium worthy due to hairline crack, but big enough to last 3 weeks, or have hubby make something 4x4 or 6x6 ft. I did see an area somebody set up for ducks that was big enough to walk in. We actually have an area that is heated and maybe 12'x12' with linoleum floor. That might work as well for future broods. These guys are slowly starting to recognize me again. I need to go feed them again now. I'm pretty sure they will respond. I've always been very good with animals and worked for a vet for 8 years before I switched to human medicine. I also fostered some very difficult dogs over 20 years, so I know I must have the skills. I was just taken very aback, when they abruptly switched behavior. I wasn't anticipating any problems, but kids and animals have a way of testing us LOL

Thank you and everyone for the kind words and talking me down off the ledge! LMBO
Holly
You might try looking for a lizard/snake tank (either to buy or for plans for what to make). They're lighter and cheaper since they don't have to have such thick glass/acrylic and they have ventilation planned into the design. Most are still waterproofed enough to handle duck mess since so many are used for humidity loving creatures.

You might try looking for a lizard/snake tank (either to buy or for plans for what to make). They're lighter and cheaper since they don't have to have such thick glass/acrylic and they have ventilation planned into the design. Most are still waterproofed enough to handle duck mess since so many are used for humidity loving creatures.
That's a great idea! Thanks!

It took 4-5 days but they did learn that my lower half goes with my voice and face. They aren't super cuddly but I'm happy. They do line up to be put in the tub for swims LOL

Back
Top Bottom