Have I set myself up for an escape?

TxAg11

Chirping
Jan 12, 2016
Houston, TX
Howdy. Last night my wife and I picked up our first 5 hens and couldn't be more excited. During the coop construction phase I guess I was under the impression that chickens aren't much for flying. I asked a friend who used to own chickens if he ever had problems with fence jumpers. He said that even though he clipped their wings they still hopped on top of things like his AC unit to escape. We have an open run so I'm worried I might have made a really stupid mistake putting out coop up next to a brick fence that back up to a busy road... Last night we clipped the hens left wings and are letting them free range today because I haven't finished the chain link. Should I move the location of the coop away from the fence or do you think it will be an issue? We have 2 RIR, 2 Golden sex links, and 1 Dominicker. Also, I built our coop for $0. Built it 100% out of scraps. It was a fun project and I hope it keeps the hens happy!
[/IMG]

Last edited:
possibly. you can keep them off the roof tho, and that should work. I might be more worried about the bush/shrub in the corner, where the brick fence meets the wood fence.

I doubt you'll have a problem with larger birds like you have, they are the lighter side of medium sized birds. Put a few things around that are low for them to get on and perch and they'll be so content a higher roost wont cross their minds. I've medium sized birds and the only time a few pullets went to branches 5 ft off the ground was when we still have too many amorous cockerels bothering them.

Thanks! I'll set up some more roosts when I get home. Hopefully I don't get back from work to find that they've all "flown the coop" (are chicken puns allowed here?).

Bert, how would the tree/shrub be a problem? Most of the branches are near vertical and make for poor roosting. Again, I'm completely new at this, so any knowledge/opinion is welcomed. I have no idea how these creatures operate.

difficult to see from the pic, so maybe not an issue. I just saw an opportunity. and it extends above the fence. I'm thinking worst case scenario.

Back
Top Bottom