Have my chickens trained me???

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Just out of curiosity, how many of you chicken tenders have been trained by your chickens??

My flock includes 2 ISA Browns. Those two ladies are an absolute hoot! They can tell my movements by watching me through the windows. If I pass the large window heading into the kitchen, which is near the back door, they run to the door and try to peek in. If I don't come out they start calling for me. If that doesn't work they then back up and look into the kitchen window. If I'm not there, they then move to the large window and look/call for me. They also will see me sitting by the window and will come up and just stare at me until I get up and bring them a treat. These girls absolutely crack me up! All the hens, and now the twelve 11 week old chicks, have learned that when the dogs get let out that means mom is near! They rush the door looking for me. The ISA Browns have learned to run super fast to get their head and foot in the door so I can't shut it! Oh how this melts my heart and of course I have to find them a small treat🥰
Please tell me I'm not the only one!!

PS, my hubs is really on me to stop so the treats have been significantly reduced. This breaks my heart, but I'm being really strong🥺

@CalBickieMomma

No, they don't! I sit on the ground and talk to them but they do not like being picked up or cuddled😭 I think that is why I give treats, to make me feel like they love me. Yes, I know that is pathetic🤦 Lol
One Black Australorp will sit on my son's lap and he pets her. And she will for me too. But she does not jump up. Only1 hen jumps up onto my lap but if I try to pet her she jumps down.
This actually makes me feel really sad. Not sure what I did wrong. They're friendly, social, follow me everywhere when I'm outside, know their names and come when called even when I don't have treats. I think they feel safe and happy. But just not cuddly hens. Maybe this will change as the age? They are are 9 months now.

Last edited:
I have to admit I’ve been trained. My rooster has me trained not to wear red or pink down to the coop cause it set him off. The other thing is I know when they get a certain look I bend down or move closer so they can hop up on my shoulder. If I don’t some give up. Other times I get hit in the head with flying chicken who misjudged the distance :lau :lau :lau

Just out of curiosity, how many of you chicken tenders have been trained by your chickens??

My flock includes 2 ISA Browns. Those two ladies are an absolute hoot! They can tell my movements by watching me through the windows. If I pass the large window heading into the kitchen, which is near the back door, they run to the door and try to peek in. If I don't come out they start calling for me. If that doesn't work they then back up and look into the kitchen window. If I'm not there, they then move to the large window and look/call for me. They also will see me sitting by the window and will come up and just stare at me until I get up and bring them a treat. These girls absolutely crack me up! All the hens, and now the twelve 11 week old chicks, have learned that when the dogs get let out that means mom is near! They rush the door looking for me. The ISA Browns have learned to run super fast to get their head and foot in the door so I can't shut it! Oh how this melts my heart and of course I have to find them a small treat🥰
Please tell me I'm not the only one!!

PS, my hubs is really on me to stop so the treats have been significantly reduced. This breaks my heart, but I'm being really strong🥺

Just wait until they start knocking on your door. :lau

Just wait until they start knocking on your door. :lau
My cousin used to have a chicken that would peck at the kitchen window for someone to give him a cracker
My friends elderly chickens would sit in the window sill and scream at you. We never figured out why. It was creepy though. They would stare in the window. Make eye contact. Then scream. They would sit and do this for hours. All. Three. Of. Them.

You're definitely not alone... when I look out in the morning, I can see my three little hens up on the highest branch they can find in their run, stretching as tall as they can to spot me in the house. If they see me in the bedroom window, they start calling out :love
They even recognise the sound of the back door being opened and get very excited when the dogs are let out, cause they know I will be along shortly too :D
It's adorable...

Back
Top Bottom