Have some questions about selling eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SecretHavenFarm, Jan 11, 2010.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    For those of you that sell eggs. Did you have to get a permit of any kind? or did you just start selling your eggs?

Are you ever worried if someone gets sick and blames your eggs you could be sued??

Does anyone sell silkie eggs? As of right now thats all I have, but my friend who got my into Silkies said she thinks the silkie eggs are really tasty which makes up for them being small. Would there be ANY market in selling silkie eggs? If not its not a huge deal for me, just something I was thinking about

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I think it depends on how you are planning to sell your eggs. I sell eggs to my friends who want to buy them, but there is no set price. I let them give a donation if they want/can; if not, it is no big deal. For that, I do not think you would need a permit/license. Do I worry about them getting sick from my eggs? Not really. I know my chickens are healthy and the coop hygenic, and the eggs go from coop to fridge. So, no more chance of illness there than buying them from the store.

As for silkie eggs - that I do not know. Most people I know of want larger eggs because when using them for baking that is what most recipes are assuming you are using.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Because of your state ( CA is a pain in many things) you will have to look up the regulations in your State and City. What is legal in other states often is not in CA. If you have problems finding info try your state thread here on BYC and see if someone in your area can help you out.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    In Georgia, we have to get a candler's license. But yes you need to check to see what CA rules are.

5. sciencechick

sciencechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Silkie eggs are Super Tasty!!! They make up for the small size many times over, IMHO:D

6. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I would think some people might like the silky eggs for the novelty of them. I guess if I were selling eggs to people I didn't know, I might worry about being blamed if they got sick. I know my birds are healthy and the eggs are good, but people often blame the last thing they ate if they get sick. In reality it takes longer than that for food poisioning to kick in.

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I have a friend that sells eggs to mom & pop stores in California. According to him you just need a sticker that says the eggs should not be eaten raw. You can get these stickers at Nasco in Modesto CA. Nasco is a mail order place as well as retail sales. You can get the phone number from information if you can't find their web site. It is either listed as Nasco or Nasco West in the phone book. They also have egg cartons.

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Contact your local Ag office, they can give you all the legal details.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by