Have things been busier then normal?

So it looks like some negatives to soy are that a lot of people are allergic to it. I read where eating the eggs can bother them. The soy can also cause deficiencies in their diet, but I assume the food manufacturers add those into the feed as needed. Can’t say that I found anything saying why it was positive though. Only read negative things or arguments why it wasn’t bad. But didn’t find anyone saying it was healthier.
The biggest issue with soy, is soy meal not processed through the expelliar method. It's chemically processed with residue of things you really don't want in your food. Using whole roasted soy eliminates the potential of that. In terms of those who are allergic, many of them have been eating eggs and meat fed with whole roasted soy for years, without issue. Just as an example, Polyface farms uses 605lbs in their broiler feed and 620lbs in their layer feed per ton. 1020/1000 lbs of corn as well. If and when I can get it, I prefer feed from Sunrise Farms in VA, they supply polyface and I've had my best success either with their feed or following their recipes.

The biggest issue with soy, is soy meal not processed through the expelliar method. It's chemically processed with residue of things you really don't want in your food. Using whole roasted soy eliminates the potential of that. In terms of those who are allergic, many of them have been eating eggs and meat fed with whole roasted soy for years, without issue. Just as an example, Polyface farms uses 605lbs in their broiler feed and 620lbs in their layer feed per ton. 1020/1000 lbs of corn as well. If and when I can get it, I prefer feed from Sunrise Farms in VA, they supply polyface and I've had my best success either with their feed or following their recipes.
Just to be clear I didn’t say it “would” bother someone that is allergic. I said I read it “can”, as in it is possible. But what you are saying is what I found. Which is if you process it a certain way or add things in with it then it is okay for the birds, or usually doesn’t bother the humans that eat the birds or their eggs. But once again I’m not hearing how it is better for them than something else. It seems to be a way to save money on feed and people have found a way to make it work. BTW, I’m no authority on chickens or anything related. My only experience is growing up on a farm and helping my parents and 1 other farm care for them occasionally. Meaning I just gathered eggs, fed and/or watered them when asked. All my info comes from the internet and there is a large amount to sift through. So I apologize in advance if I share old info that has since been found to change.
PS if you read this in a tone of voice that offended you please go back and reread it knowing that I’m here to learn and most of my statements are more of a question😆

No offense taken ;) My goal is to help you find feed locally that you want. You are correct in that soy is used to keep the price point down in the feed. Its high protein and fat content go a long way. Feeds that are soy free have to find another source of protein to compensate which is often more expensive. Some use pork meal, which is fairly cheep but who knows where it comes from and what trace elements might be in it.

Everyone on here has been awesome. This is a nice community you guys have. I really appreciate all the help so far.
I agree about BYC being a great community. Even though I have raised chickens for a half-century, I continue to learn something new every day. One of my favorite quotes sums it up nicely:

"All of life is education and everybody is a teacher and everybody is forever a pupil."

- Abraham Maslow

I agree about BYC being a great community. Even though I have raised chickens for a half-century, I continue to learn something new every day. One of my favorite quotes sums it up nicely:

"All of life is education and everybody is a teacher and everybody is forever a pupil."

- Abraham Maslow
I actually used that thought for my screen name. My name isn’t Matt lol. Lmatt stands for “L”earning “M”ore “A”ll “T”he “T”ime

So what causes the blood vessel to burst? The majority of the eggs we used to get from my mom were like this. Were they lacking something. She has a tendency to buy local and use whatever someone recommended by word of mouth.
If one hen is doing it consistently, it could indicate some sort of issue in the oviduct as the egg is formed. Or it’s just a random blip/blood vessel rupture on the yolk. I don’t see them often in my younger hens. I do see it in my older hens. It’s called a meat spot, but it’s not meat.

Factory farmed eggs have likely been candled and these eggs are graded for food production use, so you won’t usually see them in your grocery store egg carton. Regardless though, they’re fine to eat. It’s not a partially formed chick embryo. But they’re not considered kosher, and some people are just turned off by them. It’s one of the things you may see with backyard chickens and if it’s a concern, crack your eggs in a separate bowl before adding them to your food.

BTW, I finally ordered my chicks today and we decided to not just get Black Australorps. We are actually getting 10 different breeds and we will be getting some cockerels as well 😂. Thanks JuliB
Mixed flocks are great as you watch the personalities and traits develop for the different breeds. Curious as to what breeds you selected as some breeds cohabitate together better than others.

Mixed flocks are great as you watch the personalities and traits develop for the different breeds. Curious as to what breeds you selected as some breeds cohabitate together better than others.
After talking to my mom and reading more on here I’m thinking about changing my order. Here is the initial list.
5 Barred Rock Cockerels that we plan to keep the best 2 of and butcher the others. Then 2 pullets of all the following Americauna, Austra White, Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Brown Leghorn, Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, New Hampshire Red, Rhode Island Red, and Silver Laced Wyandotte
I got to wondering if the Rock’s could possibly be brother and sister and wondering if I should be ordering males and females at the same time from the same hatchery in case I ended up wanting to raise chicks out of them. After reading more on here I found where it was advised to not raise your roosters with your first and only batch of hens. Because they will outgrow the others and without guidance of older hens or roosters can become a nightmare. My mom also warned that she had some Buff hens and they became so broody that they would break eggs while fighting over a nest because they wanted to sit. So now I’m wondering if I should drop all the Barred Rock males and Orpington females and replace them. My initial thinking around the Orpingtons was to possibly let them brood a variety of eggs if I ever wanted a self sustaining flock. I was only wanting a rooster to hopefully keep the hens from fighting and watch over them when let out to free range. I wasn’t planning on trying to raise chicks unless I somehow lost a bunch of chickens or something. I still need a minimum order size of 25. So I could get some extra Americana’s, Black or White Australorps, and Brown Leghorns and/or add some Black and/or Golden Sex Links and some White Leghorns. I could really use some guidance if I’m making a mistake. I’ve read the Black Australorps can be bullies and go after eggs of another breed. But my mom adored the ones she had. They are coming from a hatchery. So who knows what I will get I guess. That is some of my reasoning for getting such a variety.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom