Have things been busier then normal?

All seem to be doing well so far! Our free one was pretty lethargic, but one of my daughter’s took it in the house and held it for about an hour after I dabbed some nutri drench on both sides of it’s beak. She put it back with the others and it wasn’t long before it was running around and eating instead of spending all it’s time under the heating plate.

Attachments

• 7A12C09B-D692-44B6-AE59-3342BEE90D2D.jpeg
    7A12C09B-D692-44B6-AE59-3342BEE90D2D.jpeg
    602.6 KB · Views: 2
So something I’ve noticed. I purchased a heating plate with the intention of just using it. Thinking it would be a more natural way for them and prepare them for the unheated coop(when it’s time for that). But it is fairly cool in my unheated shop. So I plugged a heat lamp in for their first night. I unplugged it the next morning, but my daughter came out and plugged it back in. So I unplugged it again and asked who had plugged it back in. She told me she wanted to see the chicks and they were all under the heating plate. So she plugged it in so they would come out and eat. So I went back out to check on them and they were back under the plate. So I plugged it back in and they came back out and started eating. I have since just left it plugged in 24/7 and they are actively eating all day. So was my thinking backwards? Should I be unplugging it at night and plugging it in during the day? We had one night that it frosted and every chick was under the plate. Other nights when it’s not as cold we have found some sleep out under the lamp. So is there any reason to turn it off at night? I just worry about them getting cold at night because we don’t come out in the middle of the night to check on them.

The Kalmbach is actually reasonably priced shipped to my door. As far as the rooster, my wife votes no. She doesn’t like the red spec when cooking eggs. So probably won’t be a rooster unless it is mistakenly shipped.

That's interesting. We've always had a rooster or two and never get a red speck in the eggs, I don't think that's an indication of fertilization. Perhaps @aart can shed a little light on red specks in eggs. @aart?

Back
Top Bottom