Have to cull my rooster

So sorry to read it. My roo is super kind.In fact he tolerates ME chasing him all over the yard.Unfortunately my rooster just won't shut up,and being in the city this is causing frayed nerves.We have to move (with him) or he does.Oh these roosters are so fun but so much trouble at the same time!

I would cull him. He will always have a tendency to sneak up on you. You can defend yourself, but what if he sneaks up on one of your grandkids? I just got a trio of Brahmas a month ago, The roo tried to sneak up on me once. So now, either I find someone who wants a trio of Brahmas, or, he will go in the pot before too long. He may be a 'teenager' (the hens just started laying before I got them), but I won't take a chance, if he's done it once, he'll try it again and I'm not comfortable with having him around with other people walking on the property.

Life's too short to have to watch your back when doing chicken chores. I know when I hear thundering rooster feet behind me, Isaac or Suede is just running to catch up to me, no sinister motives. They are completely trustworthy and non-human-aggressive and smart enough to know that we are not the enemy of them or their hens.

(the disclaimer here goes to small children--never trust even the mildest mannered rooster around a small child!)

Sorry to say the rooster met his end today, he went after my granddaughter once again and she wasn't even inside the fence, she was sitting by the gate......
somad.gif
I wasn't giving him another chance..

In taming roosters, it's best using the same techniques used to tame any animal. Spend lots of time with them from a very early age. Let them first learn to eat out of your hand. Be consistent in management of their coop, food, water, egg collection. Be consistent in all of your behavior around them. Avoid sudden movement and unnecessary noise. Be mindful of how your actions could be perceived as threatening to them

.Roosters and other animals become aggressive towards people because they fear you pose a threat in some way. We must gain their trust. The more predictable your behavior is, the less suspicious they will be. The more you are linked with delivery of favorite food, the more they will trust you. Also, avoid picking up the hens when a rooster is present, because this may be perceived as threatening.

Hitting them, or showing any other kind of aggressiveness towards roosters tells them you want to do battle them. You might be able to convince them that you are higher on the pecking order, but that won't necessarily stop them from trying to fight you at some future date

.Rather than telling them you want to be the top rooster, tell them instead that you are NOT a chicken. Let them see instead, through your behavior, that you are harmless and that you are a provider of food and water.

But just remember, you might be able to make him respect YOU, but that does not mean he'll respect someone half your size! All chickens in the end are livestock....period. Animals can be very dangerous. If you don't have the heart to get rid of the rooster at least catch him and remove those spurs.

if none of this helps and you are still left with an aggressive rooster, make chicken soup!

Nope, any mean roo of ANY age will be gone...no exceptions. We do not want to take liablity of having someone injured or the time and investment to always watch your back or what if a day you didn't bring your equipment or very ill with a bad flu, and he attacks you. I dont want to keep ONE eye out at all times whenever I am outside with the girls. I want to go in without being attacked.

And I don't breed for meanness either. Had one chick that was so aggressive, I put him down immediately. Peace reign the flock.

If you are close to me you are welcome to a few fertile eggs.My roo is so freaking nice. I was tearyed eyed when I watched him encouraging the ladies to go into a buda box to lay eggs.He did it before when I had the box in the shed.He is just so good and nice. I want him to live on.....

Thanks for the offer Mattemma, but i have a few young boys I will have to wait it out and see......Take good care of that rooster, I am finding that a well behaved rooster is a special thing........I would also like to give the grandkids a chance to help out with the hens without fear, they like to feed sunflowers out of their hands but in the past could only do that from outside the fence...

Back
Top Bottom