Have to shut up pullets when living in TOWN?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iamlisaallen, Oct 27, 2010.

1. iamlisaallen

iamlisaallen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    I have questions.
    1) When can i start to send my chicks outside? What age?
    2) Do I have to shut them up every night when living in town? It seems like everything I read relates to rural living.

Thanks, Lisa

2. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I take my chicks outside when they are fully feathered and put them in hanging wire pens where I keep them for 2 weeks or more. But everyone has different set-ups.
    I live in the country and I dont put anybody up but my goats. But if you are sneaking chickens you better put them up. And they wont be quiet. [​IMG]

3. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    LOCK THEM UP...
    I thought the same thing then I had raccoon attack whipped out half my flock. his was after 6 months of not locking them up and them free ranging
    living in town we face different predators. Once that are use to human noise and seeing us.
    I have battled skunks & chicken hawks too.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Chicken is a prime prey critter. Everyone looovvees the taste of chicken!!
    When other meats are compared -- it is always compared to the chicken. Example: Hey what does squirrel taste like? Answer: just like chicken!

The best way to make sure you see them in the morning is to tuck them safely in their predator proof coop at nite.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Yes, you will want to shut them in. I live in a suburb of a major city. A wildlife count of what I've seen in my yard or within one block in the last few months includes (not a full list)

Deer (right in my front yard close enough to my house to get the motion sensor security lights)
    Fox within one block
    Raccoons inside my privacy fence
    Opossums (within the block, many times)
    Armadillos within a mile (though not a threat to chickens)
    Snakes, many times - big enough to attempt to go after chicks or young chickens
    Hawks & Owls, Crows/Ravens, Blue Jays (Jays are dangerous to young chicks)
    Skunk - haven't seen them, but have smelled them
    Feral/Stray Dogs galore
    Feral/Stray cats

I suspect there are coyote in my area, as well (yes, in town) & wouldn't be surprised about other animals, such as bobcats

I have even seen beaver & muskrats right in town, but not right near my place. Of course, they aren't a threat to chickens.

The gist of this is that any animal that is a predator threat in the countryside can also be a predator threat in town. The ecosystem near your home will determine how much variety there is in the wildlife that could threaten your birds, but be assured that there ARE animal threats out there.

6. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    As said above, there are PLENTY of predators in the city. I would think they might even be more likely to attack in the suburbs/city since they are so used to humans. Definitely put them in the coop at night.

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

City predators do NOT wait until dark to come looking for food. I've seen many raccoons out in broad daylight in the middle of a big city, just going about their business like all those people weren't even there. I came out of a friend's house one day and caught a raccoon trying to climb in the window of my car!
    Lock up your chickens especially at night, but keep an eye on them during the day too, if they are free ranging.

8. iamlisaallen

iamlisaallen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    Wow! I had no idea! Thanks for all the insight! This is a a great site!

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Good point. The fox I saw most recently WAS out in broad daylight...trotting along the side of the road. (And, though not a threat, I saw deer twice yesterday within a mile of my house. I think I saw a total of 9 or 10...)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by