Have TWO Broodies! First Time Hatching Q's!

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
So i went out today and found my GLW and my BO broody AGAIN. Both of these girls have been persistent. 2nd and 3rd times going broody since they started laying in December!

Anyway, I've never hatched my own eggs before and have a couple of questions.

1. What are the hatching rates for first time mothers? I don't want the chicks that will hatch, I'll be selling them/giving them away and don't really want a whole lot. What will I end up with on average with 6 eggs under each girl?

2. Can they hatch their eggs in the nest and then be moved? The nests are 1.5' off the ground with no ramp...so the babies wouldn't be able to get out. I tried moving one of them today but she didn't want to sit somewhere that wasn't her nest.

3. Will they be violent towards one another? I don't have a whole lot of room to keep them...so if they are going to cause problems with one another I'm gonna have to break one of them and let the other hatch...which makes me a little sad
sad.png

4. Any special care for broodies? I know I should take them out to eat/drink once or twice a day, but anything else?

Thanks!

I had two broody hens last month. They last 21 days to hatch the eggs. They only moved from the coop to eat and drink. Yesterday I went to feed them and she had two chick. I am also new on this! I close the coop and left the chicken with the chicks inside and the other chicken who is supposed to hatch anytime. I don't now if the other chicken will attack the chicks:( hopefully no!!!! I also have a oug a Lab a shihtzu. 2 cats, birds 6 goats, a rabbit and some parrots. i love them all!!!

Back
Top Bottom