Have we damned ourselves to eternal chicken herding/guarding?

Birds of prey are illegal to kill, for good reason, and so are the vast majority of US native birds. Find another solution, you can get in serious trouble if you do manage to kill it, and that's not going to fix the problem of there being birds of prey in the area.
If you live in an area with birds that hunt chickens, either keep them in an area that the hawks can't get into, or be prepared to lose some chickens.
You can try to befriend local corvids, they'll chase away hawks.
This one wasn’t killed doubt I’d be breaking the law any time soon the rifle I use is non lethal.

Lousy gun safety practices aside, I wouldn't be posting on my willingness, much less my attempt, to perform an illegal act.
Your right on all points.
The good news is the sparrows that used to poop in my waterers and steal my feed are gone along with all the other birds. The falcon was not seen today in the morning or this afternoon. Perhaps she moved on. It’s a never ending cycle. Sometimes if you aggravate them enough they get the idea.

I have a mix. They have a small enclosed run but when I open up the coop each morning I also open up this enclosed run into a much larger run, with a 50 metre electric fence. Finally, if I have time in the afternoon, and the weather is nice, I let them free range. They usually stay very close to me - I put the internet on for a couple of hours then lead them back into the electrified run with a seed/scratch bribe. They are used to not being able to free range every day, I think they don’t like winter either, so it becomes a treat for them.

Because you have only had the chickens a small amount of time, the predators have not found you yet, but they will. Everything like chickens, and predators are were the romance of free ranging chickens meets the reality of loosing a lot of chickens.

Once I lost 16 in one go. Sickening. If you are starting to see eagles, there are a whole lot more you are not seeing.

In my own set up, I have a coop/run that is big enough that my flock can stay in it 24/7 if needed. I have both the coop and large areas of the run deeply bedded in old hay. I have roosts in the coop and in the run, with platforms, hideouts, wind shelter in the run.

I do like to let my birds out to free range, but if I did every day, I would not have any chickens left. I have found if I follow these rules, I can free range, kind of sort of.
  • don't free range on a set schedule. Sometimes all day, sometimes part of a day and sometimes not at all.
  • don't free range on deeply cloudy, rainy, snowy days, or high wind days, gives too much advantage to the predators.
  • a year old rooster, younger than that they are not any good, but all roosters are not the same value. A good rooster should be the first bird to see you when you come up.
  • when you get hit by a predator, then go into lock down for several days, maybe even weeks, because the predators will be back.
The reality, is that you really need to have a run, so that your birds can be outside safely. Being outside is important to their health, watching and herding them would not be possible for me.

Mrs K

If you are set on free ranging, then begin to look at the situation through different eyes. Your kids can help raise replacement birds on a routine basis, such as spring and late summer, or in some schedule that maximizes 4-H show/fair schedule in your area (if they are old enough to be in 4-H). This gives you the opportunity to try new breeds. Many opt for free-range savy birds, often these are more “flighty” or “wild” in behavior. Many hatcheries or other information sources will rate birds on their free-range ability/fit. Obviously all birds can free-range, but some are better than others, or will forage better than others. However, sometimes these breeds have a higher tendency to roost in trees.

Definitely would put some kind of a barrier to prevent your birds from crossing the road to the other area. Speeding cars may swerve to avoid hitting any chicken, which may result in other problems. In addition, depending on your laws wherever you live, could you be responsible for injury/damage to someone trying not to hit your chicken, when you did not contain it/prevent it from crossing the road? I do not know the answer to that.

To keep them most safe and to get on with your lives, a covered and secure run is best for safety, but may not be the style you are after.

Good post above. :goodpost:
I let mine free range part time, 2-5 hours a day, most days. We have 60 acres, but they stay within about 1 acre, circling our house and their coop over and over. I do not sit out and watch them. Over the years, we've lost 1 or 2 a year to predators. When that happens the survivors get locked in their spacious run for weeks. I raise replacements each year. I love the pasture raised eggs so I take the chances with predators.
You might consider a LGD, livestock guardian dog.
BTW, we live very close to the road, and over 4 years, ours do not go in or near it. They are very afraid of the traffic. They also do not go in the neighbors' pasture, I think they are afraid of the cattle.
Good luck, keep us updated,
Sue

That schecule of chicken sitting sounds exausting to me. Also would greatly reduce the enjoyment of having chickens, more like having another full time job to do.
You need a fence to keep your critters out of the road.
You can continue the chicken sitting but, You also should put up a enclosed run for your chickens for the enevitable time that is coming where everyone needs to go somewhere. Life happens and it would be good to have the enclosure for your birds in case of an emergency. What if some day you want to take the kids on a family vacation, or God forbid,someone needs to go to the hospital?
I free range and atribute my success to 3 guardian dogs and small flock of guineas. I still loose a couple a year.
I too think its early in your chicken journey and your area preditors have not found you yet. Start planing now. Build it because they are coming. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom