Have wet chick in the incubator/brooder. What do I do now? (NEWBIE)

dominiquetrix

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
I had one egg in my incubator which has now hatched. Still wet. Does the chick still need the humidity or should I take out the wet rags? When do I offer food and water? Anything else I should do.

His siblings hatched with the mama hen yesterday. This little guy came from an egg she left out in the cold three days ago. He seems fine, just not sure what to do with him until I can put him in with his mother.

This was my first attempt at hatching. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- The incubator/ brooder is a wooden box with a light hanging over it. Very low tech. The bottom is covered with bath towels.

Congratulations. The chick by itself in there does not need the high humidity but it needs the warmth. Don't let it get chilled before it dries off. It doesn't really matter if you take the wet rags out or not as long as it does not get chilled.

You do not need to feed or water him for two to three days. They absorb the yolk and can live off that for quite a while. I'd probably leave him in the incubator with no food or water all day and put him with the others tonight.

Good luck!

Quote:
X2
the humidity will give it the moisture it needs, so it won't have to drink.. but if you remove the humidity, I would put a tiny dish of water in for it to drink..

they do not HAVE to drink or eat right away, but I always have food and water available in my brooder.. It is surprising how soon they do eat if the food is presented..

I do it this way because it makes it easier for me.. I don't have to take the time to figure out when to introduce food and water.

Thanks so much! I thought maybe that was right so I left him as you said since 7:30 am. I have been checking on him (hope it's a her) and checking to see if anyone replied to my post.

Thanks again. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom