Have you ever had a chicken freeze to death?

Im here chokin on my breakfast thinkin bout all the frozen animals in the bad winter people are havin.Here in oregon we have had it real good,lots of flooding but at least its not 10below!! So sorry for you and your animal families.i believe it is going to be a trend with this strange weather.Better prepare for next winter.

I am so sorry for your losses, The ones who have lost chickens to this weather.
hugs.gif
Thats so sad to hear about the ones lost to freezing to death. I havent had casualties this year. My coop has been shut up tight with 4 lightbulbs (100 W) going. Lots of insulation and plastic. I have their seperate pens covered also so the light bulbs keep them warmer. Too bad the lights are on day and night. Today I opened the door for a while to let in some fresh air(That was certainly overdue--I dont know how warm it is today, but at least it isnt so bitter today).

When the temp is real cold I give midnight snack of cracked corn and chopped up nuts and berries and chopped peanut butter sandwiches. to help keep them warm.

Last edited:
I've worried about my chicks and the worst of the cold weather is hopefully done -6 yesterday and only -3 last night. I do have to put my silkie roo up with the others to keep him warm since he has a bum foot and can't get up to roost although he gets down outside. They are still free ranging in the afternoon for an hour or two with no problems but I have left them in the coop all day while we are at work

Yesterday my wife asked me if my two pure white guineas were a pair. I did not know. today it makes no difference, one of them died last night.. maybe the slight warm-up was too much for it.. It got to about 3 above zero.. I do not think it froze to death..

Well, you all can't be too hard on yourselves, chickens are meant to be outdoors and during really harsh weather you may lose a couple. There isn't much more you all can do than what you are all doing. I think our cold front has finally passed...it is still -16C and -26 C with wind chill but it sure is ALOT warmer than it has been the last few days.

We live up north in WA and we have only lost 2 chickens one last year. when the kids were putting them away for the night she went under the coop instead of in it. didn't know intill next morning. and this year it was a stubborn old rooster that kept finding his way out not sure where. they were both 1 yr old frizzles so they didn't have a fighting chance. they were always loosing their feathers and the hen was almost bald clear down to her chest. i made her a coat when winter first started she left it alone it was cool bright orange. you could see her clear across the yard. We rescued them for our county fair year before last the owners didn't win anything but red ribbons in conformation and they left them. in my oppion they are not a good choice if you live in cold weather.

at ten degrees i have three that still roost in the tree. it has only been that cold a few nights this winter. the southwest has actually been warmer than usual.

Back
Top Bottom