Have you ever made your own Chick "Baby Cake" ?

1keegan

Songster
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Last week I bought one of those "Baby Cakes" hanging things from Tractor Supply. Our six youngsters went nuts for it and had it cleaned up in just a couple days.
I saved the center hanging stick- It made me wonder if I couldn't make some myself, as they are a bit pricey for a 'treat'.
Have you ever made something similar, and if so, how? What worked and what didn't?
What ingredients did you use, and how did you form it around the hanger?
Thanks!

The Farmers Helper Baby Cake Ingredients are listed as: Corn, Oat Groats, Rendered Beef Tallow, Peanuts, Flax Seed, Crab Meal, Cinnamon (flavor), Diatomaceous Earth (flow Agent Less Than 2%), Dried Cranberries, Sunflower Oil, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate (anti- Caking Agent Less Than 2%), L-lysine

I have made chicken treats that are similar to a chick hanging treat, but more like the "flock block" that TSC sells. I think the recipe I used could be modified for chicks.

Here is my recipe (it could be cut in half):
10 cups of dry ingredient (I used 7 cups of birdseed, 2 cups of dried mealworms, and 1 cup of oyster shell, but these could be changed to be better for chicks)
1 6-8 oz packet of flavorless gelatin

Follow the directions on the gelatin packet for making the gelatin and water solution. Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour the gelatin solution into the bowl and mix it into the dry ingredients. Make sure it is very well mixed in. Pour the mixture into are large pan. Cover the pan in foil and let it rest overnight. Cut them into large squares and give to the chickens.

If you don't want yours to be squares the chickens peck at, I'm sure you could put it on the stick, or poke a hole in the blocks and tie a string through it. I hope this recipe helped!

I have made chicken treats that are similar to a chick hanging treat, but more like the "flock block" that TSC sells. I think the recipe I used could be modified for chicks.

Here is my recipe (it could be cut in half):
10 cups of dry ingredient (I used 7 cups of birdseed, 2 cups of dried mealworms, and 1 cup of oyster shell, but these could be changed to be better for chicks)
1 6-8 oz packet of flavorless gelatin

Follow the directions on the gelatin packet for making the gelatin and water solution. Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour the gelatin solution into the bowl and mix it into the dry ingredients. Make sure it is very well mixed in. Pour the mixture into are large pan. Cover the pan in foil and let it rest overnight. Cut them into large squares and give to the chickens.

If you don't want yours to be squares the chickens peck at, I'm sure you could put it on the stick, or poke a hole in the blocks and tie a string through it. I hope this recipe helped!

Thanks FuzzyCritters!

Back
Top Bottom