Have you tried this w/ your chickens? Cool & Really works!

ezee6016

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
I read in Farm Fowl International that you can put a chicken to sleep doing this weird thing, but it actually works! On all my birds! (except for the chicks). Does anyone know how it works? They said hunters use it to set pheasants in the field - You put them on their side and rub their chest, and they are out like a light! Check it out - really cool magazine. How many of you saw it & tried it?

I do this to my rooster all the time! I but him on his back on my lap and rub his chest and belly area. He just goes hypnotic.
I'll lay him on the stump, still on his back and he'll just lie there. The hens come over and look at him like "what's wrong with you?!" I eventually rouse him out of it.
gig.gif
He acts kind of dazed for a bit but he's really sweet after that.

You can do the same thing with rabbits.

I looked at the website you supplied but I can't see any tricks for putting chickens to sleep.

So here is mine, you'll need a a twelve inch machete, a wooden chopping block, 18 inches of string and a five month old cockerel (or two).... wait, wait, WAIT !!!... you mean putting them to sleep temporarily. That's different then.

Every bird I've ever handled, except Owls*, will go into some sort of torpid state if you hold them firmly, put your hand over their head/eyes and then gently turn them onto their back (preferably in a vertical plane - I mean head over butt going backwards rather than wing over wing). They will just lie there with their little (or sometimes big nasty and clawed) feet sticking up in the air. Keeping your hand over their eyes helps if it's a nasty bird, especially when it comes to 'waking them up'.

I've only tried this on one Owl, but tried it a few times, but it could be that I had a 'sleep trick resistant owl'.

I notice also that when trying to check-out my cart for a subscription that it's not done over HTTPS, which means my credit card number and the special 3 digit number on the back would be sent over the internet without secure encryption. That could well end up with me being put to sleep using the first method above !!!
sad.png

My DH does it to my adult birds sometimes, but I don't like it. It just looks weird. He uses the drawing a line in the sand method.

Quote:
Our zoo has an owl in the ed. dept named Hootie. She's a vicious cud, but once you have her in hand, she does the "dead chicken drop", and just flops over upside down. Maybe you just haven't tried the right owl yet.
smile.png

JetBlack - I guess there's not a lot of ticklish mice left round your way !!!

I think I had a 'bad' owl. Perhaps the next one that comes our way will be more receptive.

Back
Top Bottom