Haven't even met my chickens yet!

grandma Wanda

Hatching
May 22, 2015
Just moved to Washington from TN. My husband was already here and bid on a house that we close on next week. I have not even seen it yet, just in pictures. Anyway, the sellers have chickens, coop, and secure run and offered us the chickens. I have never even thought about raising chickens but just said yes, we would take them. I am excited but nervous. We have 2 dogs and I don't know how they will react to the chickens. I have been reading what I can on here and also watching videos. I am going to do my very best to raise happy chickens as pets and for eggs.

Good for you Wanda, you are going to love chickens and so are your grandchildren. You can start by visiting the Learning center, it is a great first step in chicken education. Then you may want to browse "raising Backyard chickens." forum

Do you know what breeds you are getting and age? What they have been getting fed etc. That will help us help you. Dogs tend to love chickens in the wrong way which
equals dead chickens. It is generally best if dogs and chickens never meet.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I kind of figured that about the dogs, unfortunately. I don't even know how many chickens. I have to meet with the sellers and get this info because you are right. I need to know something about them and their habits before just taking them over. I had thought about that but am glad you reinforced that I need more information.

wee.gif

Thanks so much!!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. How exciting to inherit chickens with your new home. I noticed a youngster in your avatar. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new home and flock.

Thank you so much for a warm welcome. Yes that is my granddaughter as well in my avatar. We have several grandchildren who live in the Southeast & we are now in the Pacific Northwest but hopefully they will be able to visit & enjoy our little flock of chickens. Right now, I am reading everything I can about raising egg laying hens & watching videos. I feel like I might turn into a chicken.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for a warm welcome. Yes that is my granddaughter as well in my avatar. We have several grandchildren who live in the Southeast & we are now in the Pacific Northwest but hopefully they will be able to visit & enjoy our little flock of chickens. Right now, I am reading everything I can about raising egg laying hens & watching videos. I feel like I might turn into a chicken.

LOL! You're welcome. You're granddaughter is very cute and I'm sure she will love your chickens as will your other grandchildren. :eek:)

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Good luck with your move and getting your own flock.

Since you expect eggs, please do inquire about the breeds and ages, it would be disappointing if they are elders and no longer laying.

Chickens recognize humans as well as their flock mates, so my advice is to try to make sure the former owners do properly introduce you to the chickens so they will know and accept you quickly as their new friend.

Back
Top Bottom