1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Having a gripe! Dropped my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carol-ann, Sep 12, 2012.

1. carol-ann

carol-ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    i keep my eggs in a pretty little egg basket i bought in France.

Last night my sleeve caught in the metal tail feathers and it crashed to the floor.

there were 6 eggs in the basket, and 4 of them smashed on the floor. *bugger* i thought, and started to clean up the mess, then i find another egg smashed in the basket itself making 5 out of the precious 6 eggs gone!!!

:( :( :(

anymore egg smashing stories to cheer me up?

2. carol-ann

carol-ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    thinking about funny egg smashing stories!

i had an egg in my pocket, forgot about it and ................. sat down!!!!

3. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    I wear a little apron with pockets to collect eggs i was done collecting and checking on the other animals when our young ram...well.. ramed my pocket breaking 4 of the 6 eggs

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I tried to close the gate yesterday with 4 eggs in each hand. Too lazy to take the eggs home and come back for the gate. Ended up taking the remaining eggs home and come back to clean up the mess. I'll take a bowl with today. [​IMG]

5. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i use a metal basket for my eggs too

this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Cra...WUUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347441443&sr=8-1

well i had 10 egg in it one day

and i had to catch my cockerel, so i gave chase as usual and as i did he ran towards the house, unknown to me the kitchen door that leads to the garden was open

and in he shot, he flew up onto the work tops and eventually to the egg basket

and YES he kicked it to the floor

destroyed them all

6. pattikake

pattikake New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    Had just finished gathering eggs -- had about 48 in my basket. Set them down outside one of our pastures, where hubby assured me 'the pigs won't come thru that gate' .. yup, they did and the first thing they went for was my ENTIRE basket of eggs!

7. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    I set and egg on the egg box the other day and it rolled off and smached on the patio block that surrounds our coop area! I was so bummed! Can't imagine losing 48 eggs!!! Yikes! ~Beulah

8. HeidiKinnamon

HeidiKinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    UTAH
    I have started putting my eggs in a metal bucket that I found at HomeGoods. It is painted with a rooster and "FARM FRESH EGGS" on the side. it has a handle on the top and if I put a dish towel in the bottom, the eggs never break even if I drop it or have to swing it at my Roo when he tries to bite me.(4-5 times a day). I definitely feel sad any time I accidentally drop one of mine on the kitchen floor or down the drain though. I tend to be really clumsy

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I've had them jump outta the fridge and commit egg-a-cide plus the ones in shirt and coat pockets that get smashed, not to mention the kids[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  10. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    X2 :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by