Having a problem and need HELP!

creative.hortic

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
I have a flock of 5 wyandottes, 5 months old.....one started laying last week, one yesterday...I went out last nite to check for eggs and one girl was in her nest box and 2 others were in there with her and pecking her like crazy! They were making soo much noise! Her lower back was already missing a few feathers from the rooster we had (and got rid of last week) but they were picking her bloody. So i called the local chicken guru and he said to seperate her cuz they would pck her to death. I put her in a crate in the garage. Now this morning, I went to check on them(cuz i noticed last nite another girl that was missing a few feathers in the same place, made me nervous) and there are 2 more all picked up!! What is going on? It kinda seems like they are fighting over the 'favorite' nest box, but only 2 are laying..... I cant seperate all of them, anyone else have this happen? They were raised together and all got along till now! What is this behavior?

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
A couple thing to think about......Check them over really well for any parasites. Sometimes this brings on pecking. Hens will always establish a pecking order, but if you have one or two that are especially mean, you can isolate them for a while, then bring them back into the flock, which sometimes helps.

I've gotten rid of a couple of hens that were just plain mean. They were making bald spots on the back of each and every hen in my flock. Finally one day, I just sat in the corner of the coop quietly and watched. Then I saw them....two New Hampshire red hens just pecking the crap out of everyone! Off they went to a friend with a larger farm.

Good luck to you! I like my hens to look beautiful, so I understand your frustration.....Chickens can be so darned mean! You can buy a product called Blue Cote, and it comes in a spray, which will help deter feather picking while a wound heals. I have to warn you, it is BRIGHT BLUE! But it does deter pecking.

Good luck,
Sharon

creative.hortic

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
thanks for the info...Did they peck till bloody? that just seems odd
i realize now that i should have posted this in emergencies section, but this could be a managment issue too, right?
smile.png

Top Bottom