1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Having a really hard time deciding..Please help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hopefulloflove, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    OK...I posted on another thread, but am still so confused...so, here is what I want to know...If I want good layers (I want to be able to sell extra eggs), are BA's a good choice? I have heard they are relaxed too...I also was thinking I might like to have a couple of silkies...do they make good pets? I basically want most of the flock for egg laying, but would like a couple that we can call pets...Please help, because I need to let the lady know TODAY, so she can hold them for me...Her website is here, perhaps you guys can have a look and let me know what you'd choose from her offerings!

whttp://www.poultrypeople.com/

Thanks in Advance!

I am so thankful I found this forum! You folks are the best!!!

Kate:D

2. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Maybe Sex Links instead of BA's?? Agghhh!! Why am I making this harder on myself?!

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Just don't think you can beat a sex link for egg production.

I know nothing about Silkies personally, except that they are gentle and soft - certainly good for a pet.

Good luck!

ETA: The Australorps are going to be a heavier bird, that's one difference. Why not get a few of each and see how they do?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello there!

I think, and I've had several different breeds, that picking red sex link chickens is your best bet for lots of nice big brown eggs!

I have a flock of laying hens, and then I have my little flock of "eye candy" bantams that I keep, just because I think they're so pretty! I have two Polish bantams, and two bantam frizzle cochins. (One of the polish is a frizzle--cute as heck!)

I think that's a great idea! Keep a few "pet" chickens, and a flock of layers!

5. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    If you want a few pets and good egg layers, maybe get Buff Orpingtons. They lay great and are really friendly! [​IMG] They come in other colors too, blue or whatever you want. I think they are pretty too! If I was in your shoes I would get Orpingtons. [​IMG]

6. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I am only choosing from what this lady is offering. She is close to me and has good references and background and I don't want to take a chance with trying to ship chicks right now, being my first time.

She has...

Barnevelders
    Black Australorps
    Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
    Brahmas Buff Brahmas
    Dark Brahmas
    Light Brahmas
    Gold Laced Polish
    Marans Blue Copper Marans
    Black Copper Marans
    Sex Links
    Silkies

7. CatUT

CatUT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I love my orpingtons in the way of personality. They are very calm and gentle. Mine haven't started laying yet but my brother has some and he gets tons of eggs.

8. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    My sex links are my friendliest birds and each lays 5-6 large eggs per week. The only bird I have that rivals them in production is my leghorn and she's not as friendly.

My BO might lay 1-2 eggs a week, which I think is on the low end for the breed.

I have 2 Black Copper Marans chicks now and have read that they are very good layers of large eggs. We shall see...

My vote for production and pet value is Sex Link, all the way.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. gis777

gis777 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    From my research, Black Australorps are great egg layers. We have 4 of them, they are only 3 weeks old but I have heard from many Farmers these are superb! Sex links are also high production layers. I also have 2 silkies and they will not be great layers but definatly pets![​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by