Having Big Rooster Problems...help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrankieMcElfresh, Oct 4, 2011.

1. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Alright so my rooster or what i call him the big jerk, has been...raping my hens...i mean hes not mating with them hes pecking them and holding them down to the point they have a hard time moving, i have 3 hens that are currently laying hes not even bothering with them hes just attacking my young hens that are about a month or so younger (NOT READY TO LAY) and ive gone as far as taking hens out of there so they cant be killed...what do i do?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Get rid of the rooster.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Sounds like he seriously needs a time out, as in separated from the girls. Don't pull them out, pull him out. There's an opening at Camp Kenmore.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] It took me a second, lol, but I got it.

5. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I agree! Lock him up or break his neck, do you really need a rooster, or peace and quiet, your choice..

6. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Can't you keep the youngsters seperate until they are big enough to fight back? I have 9 that are 3 months younger than the main flock and we still have them seperate from the others. Might let them out this weekend as they are 3 months old now and look like they can handle themselves

7. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:Good Idea, Branston. [​IMG] Keep him away till they can fight back!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Remove the rooster until the pullets mature. What is your total number of pullets/hens?

9. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I had a rooster that was doing that to my polish pullet. She would hide her head in a corner and just let him be brutal to her. He'd stand on her back when she was stuck in a corner if he couldn't get at her. I try not to humanize my chickens, but it was so sad to see! It really upset the kids, too. We found the polish stuck half way under a bale of straw the other day- she couldn't get out on her own. That was the last straw.

My other roo was able to mate with the hens without any drama like that. Kids didn't mind and it seemed totally normal.

We got rid of the mean roo.......

10. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Is the roo the same age as the laying hens or the youngsters? Either way, I'd keep him with the layers and move the youngsters out as they're obviously not capable of fending for themselves yet. Either that or get rid of your roo, although that doesn't guarantee that the older hens won't rough up the younger ones once he's gone (if they haven't already).

I'd wait until all of the birds were of comparable size before combining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by