Having chick problems

Cphelps78

Hatching
Feb 6, 2017
Hello, I am new to this site.... I have used this site for referencing almost a year and thought it was about time I joined.
About six months ago I purchased my very first hens (4 gold sex links) from TSC, and have been happy with them every since. They are laying now and doing wonderful. We recently enlarged our coop and so we researched hatcheries in our area ( Belton, Tx) to add more to the family. Well, we purchased ten chicks and did the probiotics and electrolytes. Things seemed to be good until week 2! Every since then I have lost 2 chicks a week. Now we are down to 4 chicks and one isn't growing very much. All of them are eating and drinking throughout the day. The small one throws her head back sometimes and bobbles it as well. The other three look somewhat weak... The two Sussex chick have big bodies and small head... The silver laced Wyandotte seems to be more interactive then all the others and looks pretty good. Not sure where to go from here.... I am new to raising chickens. Bought all the health books and have done some research but not much out there.... If someone could help or point me in the right direction... Please and Thanks Celena for Texas....

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear you have been losing your chicks :( Were they newly hatched when you purchased them? How is your brooder set up? Heat at one end and cooler for them at the other? What feed do you have them on? Is the feed small enough for them to eat?
Are they pooping ok? Do their vents look clear not bunged up with poop?

I'm sure if you pop by the raising chicks more members will be able to offer advice ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Thank you so much for your quick response..... They were a week old when purchased. Brooder has 1 heat lamp on one side and open on the other and is placed in the garage. It is roughly 3'x2'x2'. I do buy a local feed for them but I will switch back to the medicated one today. Atleast one chick seems to have a little bit of runny poo.... I clean their brooder atleast three times a week and fresh water and food every morning. None of them seem to have any clogged vent or dirty in any way. But they do have pinkish skin today.

Hello there, and welcome to the flock! Thanks for joining us at BYC, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home! I hope you enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Greetings from Kansas, cphelps, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Really sorry to hear about your chick woes!
sad.png
I'm stumped as to what would cause such wide spread loss. I agree with Yorkshire Coop - see if the folks in the Baby Chicks Forum can come up with an idea of what you have on your hands. Best wishes and hope it all gets remedied!
smile.png

G’Day from down under Cphelps78
frow.gif
Welcome!

I too am sorry to hear of your sad loss and do hope that you are able to determine the cause and rectify it.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear your chicks are having some sort of issue and I hope you can find the answers you need.

What is the temperature in your brooder at the floor level? They could be too hot or too cold. Also what is the temp in your garage? Chicks generally need temps of 95 or so the first week and then dropping it 5 degrees with every succeeding week - until they are fully feathered out. Do they all know how to eat & drink? Some chicks need to be shown how. Does your brooder have solid sides to block draft, and a wire top to prevent chicks from flying out or anything getting in with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom