having chicken and turkeys together ?

sóley

Songster
Feb 4, 2018
so I only own chickens right now but I want to add something to my flock that's not a chicken.
how are turkeys and chickens together? can they live in the same coop?
and how does turkey eggs taste like? same as chicken eggs or little bit different? and are the eggs a lot bigger then the chicken eggs?

also can they be free range like chickens?

and other think, are turkeys messy or just similar do chickens?
sorry if these are stupid questions, I just don't know anything about turkeys.

Last edited:
any other ideas for animals for my homestead? :)
don't want ducks tho because I was told there messy. is there any cool animals that are not to messy? I own chickens now and horses and I'm maybe getting sheeps next summer

so I only own chickens right now but I want to add something to my flock that's not a chicken.
and how does turkey eggs taste like? same as chicken eggs or little bit different? and are the eggs a lot bigger then the chicken eggs?

Before even thinking about adding turkeys to a chicken flock, find out whether or not blackhead is a problem where you live. If blackhead is a problem, adding turkeys to your flock could be a death sentence to the turkeys. Chickens can be carriers for blackhead.

Turkeys require much more space than chickens need. If you try to put turkeys into the same small area that chickens can live in, the turkeys could be harmful to the chickens.

Turkey eggs are prized by bakers. They can be used to make wonderful custards. They are normally bigger than a jumbo chicken egg but it depends on the individual turkey hen and her age. Turkeys are seasonal layers.

Young turkeys need a different diet (higher protein, lysine, methionine and niacin levels) than chicks need but adult turkeys can do well on a quality chicken feed.

Turkeys can be free ranged and will prefer to roost outside rather than in a coop.

Unless you want the turkeys for meat, do not get broad breasted turkeys.

You can learn about many of the heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Last edited:
Before even thinking about adding turkeys to a turkey flock, find out whether or not blackhead is a problem where you live. If blackhead is a problem, adding turkeys to your flock could be a death sentence to the turkeys. Chickens can be carriers for blackhead.

Turkeys require much more space than chickens need. If you try to put turkeys into the same small area that chickens can live in, the turkeys could be harmful to the chickens.

Turkey eggs are prized by bakers. They can be used to make wonderful custards. They are normally bigger than a jumbo chicken egg but it depends on the individual turkey hen and her age. Turkeys are seasonal layers.

Young turkeys need a different diet (higher protein, lysine, methionine and niacin levels) than chicks need but adult turkeys can do well on a quality chicken feed.

Turkeys can be free ranged and will prefer to roost outside rather than in a coop.

Unless you want the turkeys for meat, do not get broad breasted turkeys.

You can learn about many of the heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.
thank you, I live in Iceland and I have never heard of black heads her, and I know some people her I Iceland keep chickens and turkeys together, but I will definitely look this upp and find out if black heads is in my area. thanks for the answer

Hello. R2elk is right, blackhead(histomonas) is something unevitable when you keep turkeys with chicks. I have it in my area so i had to get rid of my chicks and every year i have to do profilaxy on my birds. Thinking to relocate the farm. Turkey eggs are the best, they are higher in protein than chick eggs. They`ll do their best in a free range sistem, but you`ll have to keep a constant eye on them as they grow bcs they can get in trouble fast. Heritage turkeys are most suitable for free range.

Yes, turkeys do well on free range. I keep turkeys and chickens together in a large flock free ranging. I do have the occasional blackhead which I usually spot and immediately treat so I have very few deaths. I put oregano oil with piperine in young poults water. I find the younger turkeys are most susceptible to blackhead, older turkeys are more resistant. I also try and keep my birds wormed which helps stay off blackhead. Blackhead won't be in every flock but if you do have it, it will be something you will have to be vigilant about. Otherwise, turkeys and chickens get along fine.

Hello. R2elk is right, blackhead(histomonas) is something unevitable when you keep turkeys with chicks. I have it in my area so i had to get rid of my chicks and every year i have to do profilaxy on my birds. Thinking to relocate the farm. Turkey eggs are the best, they are higher in protein than chick eggs. They`ll do their best in a free range sistem, but you`ll have to keep a constant eye on them as they grow bcs they can get in trouble fast. Heritage turkeys are most suitable for free range.
What do you treat them with to prevent the Histomoniasis?

This is my first year with Turkeys(Royal Palms). They have gotten along very well with the chickens. I have them in the same coop but my coop is also large enough to accommodate them. Just before dark they do try the roost outside the coop but I go and gather them up to close them up inside the coop. It’s kinda like kids they know darn well they should be heading into the coop but just don’t do it until they see me come walking towards them. I actually have a Broody hen that has 4 chicks with her and a i was worried the turkeys may kill them. The turkeys don’t even care about the little chicks they just watch them walk by. When free ranging in the field the turkeys and chickens are always hanging out together. I recommend Turkeys!
C6CD5AB5-4CEA-4DE9-972E-B48249211A1F.jpeg 12E39CB7-3CD4-458C-901C-FBDE1082CC8E.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom