Having Problem w/ Chicks Going Up Ladder Into Coop at Night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Michelleschicks, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Michelleschicks

Michelleschicks New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Round Rock, Texas
    My 8 chicks were purchased as day old chicks on March 7th.
    They have been in their coop for about 1 week.
    They will come down the ladder in the morning when I open the door but they do not go up at night.
    My daughter and I have to chase them around and put them into the coop at night.
    They seem frazzled and done for the day. They sit huddled together and close to the ground but will not go up.
    The ladder looks like all of the ladders from the coop design pictures.
    Wondering if it is their age? Will they ever learn to go in?

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Have you tried putting them on the ladder? Maybe then they will learn to walk up it.

3. Michelleschicks

Michelleschicks New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Round Rock, Texas
    Oh yes, we walk them up it every night.

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC Michelle. You know, they are still pretty young. They will learn, but you might have to continue to put them up there for a while longer. They will eventually prefer to roost but it could be another month or so. Maybe not. Just keep putting them up at night.

Good luck!

5. Michelleschicks

Michelleschicks New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Round Rock, Texas
    thanks! i was hoping it was just an "age" issue.
    they are in a pen but i know they will be much safer in the coop locked up and away from the predators!
    thanks again!

6. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    They'll figure it out eventually.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Find the smartest, tamest one and work with her in learning to climb the ladder. She can encourage the others to climb up there.

I put a ladder to the nestbox about 2 weeks before I expected the pullets to start laying last year. The 1st and last to lay started off by depositing their eggs on the floor [​IMG].

I not only had to show them the nestbox, which they acted like they'd never seen before [​IMG], but had to set them on the ladder and guide them up to it. It is all of about 18 inches above the floor.

Finally, they all figured it out.

Steve

8. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same problem and just kept putting then up each night and after about two weeks they figured it out. Some faster than others but they all eventually got the hang of it. If you wait until dark you can catch them easier and avoid having to chase them around.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, poor babies.
    I'm just kidding, another things you can do is to put cross-pieces on the ramp closer together for their widdle legs...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by