Having problems with my cockerel.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i have 2 cockerels, a 6 month old (SLW) and an 8 month (BO). The BO is the dominate one and lately he has been attacking women, IE my mother, and one of our borders. He has never attacked my father and me only once cause i was wearing stuff i never wear but he only jumped at me once when i turned around he knew what he did wrong. Is there something i can do to get him to stop. He's not the best rooster but he is learning. He just started to show/call the girls over to where there is food, but he is very protective of them. Also my SLW has started mating with two of the hens and my BO just stands next to him while hes doing it, should i be worried that the SLW will try and become the dominate one?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    *bump*

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would pen that roo up so he doesn't hurt people. They can do a LOT of damage. (Or rehome him etc.)

The SLW roo sounds like a good roo if he isn't hurting people. They kind of grow into their roles.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:He just started attacking people within the last week or so, before that he was fine.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Like you said, he is still learning. You need to teach him who's the owner and who's the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by