having problems with my hovabator genesis 1588 incubator!! please help!!

Frankie Ruiz

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 19, 2013
Long Island, New York
hello everyone, i have a hovabator genesis 1588 incubator, the first hatch i had with it went great, 25 out of 30 quail eggs hatched. the 2nd and now 3rd, are horrible. 2nd hatch i had 9 chicks out of 52 eggs hatch, and this hatch (3rd) is also going bad.hatch day is tomorrow and i just candled all the eggs and about 5-7 eggs are fully developed and all the rest are early quitters, i set 34 eggs. the incubator has a digital display so ive been wondering could that be the problem? could the digital display not be accurate? should i buy a thermometer/hygrometer and use that instead of the digital display? someone please help me i have expensive legbar eggs coming in and i really want a good hatch. and i forgot to mention all the eggs i set in the incubator were fresh from my flock. i was thinking maybe the temperature was too high or too low and the incubator display was telling me different.

Sorry about your hatches. Did the chicks that did hatch, hatch on time, or were they early or late? Were they normal? When you say early quitters, you are sure they were fertile? Fertility is sometimes low in the winter or early spring. Either way, I would definitely get an extra thermometer or two and double check the temps, a therm that records high/low temps is also nice to find out about temp spikes you may have not been aware of. The 1588s are nice but the electronics do go bad (and they are easy to get wet) and don't always read that close. Also be sure the room you have it in is within the recommended temperature range and the temp is pretty stable, in the winter the low temps can be a problem.

I have the same incubator and i just set some eggs yesterday. My problem is that i cannot meet the recommended humidity at setting which is 45 to 55ºf when i followed the instructions in the manual. The temp is fluctuating at 99.9 to 100.5 every few seconds. Now i asked around and someone suggested the dry incubation to me, so i gently removed the turner, drained the water and set it again. The humidity stood at 53% for like 8 hrs but when i read that it should be at 20-25% i just opened it to release some moisture an it is now at 45% humidity. I am new in this and i am clueless especially after reading conflicting ideas. Can someone please advise me on this as i really want at least some eggs to hatch. I live in the tropical pacific, if this info helps.

thanks.

Should i lower the humidity some more? Or is 45% ok? There is an accompanying note attached to the manual that says humidity should be 45 to 55% at setting and 55 to 65% at hatching. It also says that lower in humidity is much better than higher. Please help.

thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick response.

But it ran for a few minutes at 45%, now i just checked it and it is back to 51%. I am sorry i got 53% wrong, it had been 51% for the past 8 or 10 hrs.

I have the same incubator and i just set some eggs yesterday. My problem is that i cannot meet the recommended humidity at setting which is 45 to 55ºf when i followed the instructions in the manual. The temp is fluctuating at 99.9 to 100.5 every few seconds. Now i asked around and someone suggested the dry incubation to me, so i gently removed the turner, drained the water and set it again. The humidity stood at 53% for like 8 hrs but when i read that it should be at 20-25% i just opened it to release some moisture an it is now at 45% humidity. I am new in this and i am clueless especially after reading conflicting ideas. Can someone please advise me on this as i really want at least some eggs to hatch. I live in the tropical pacific, if this info helps.

thanks.
most people use a dry incubation method

see the hatching 101 article in my signature section below

hello everyone, i have a hovabator genesis 1588 incubator, the first hatch i had with it went great, 25 out of 30 quail eggs hatched. the 2nd and now 3rd, are horrible. 2nd hatch i had 9 chicks out of 52 eggs hatch, and this hatch (3rd) is also going bad.hatch day is tomorrow and i just candled all the eggs and about 5-7 eggs are fully developed and all the rest are early quitters, i set 34 eggs. the incubator has a digital display so ive been wondering could that be the problem? could the digital display not be accurate? should i buy a thermometer/hygrometer and use that instead of the digital display? someone please help me i have expensive legbar eggs coming in and i really want a good hatch. and i forgot to mention all the eggs i set in the incubator were fresh from my flock. i was thinking maybe the temperature was too high or too low and the incubator display was telling me different.
you should have a thermo/hygrometer

are the subsequent hatches quail also?

how did you clean the incubator between hatches?

I would get myself a separate thermo./ hygrometer and use it there electronics are usually wrong and there is no adjustments

I would get myself a separate thermo./ hygrometer and use it there electronics are usually wrong and there is no adjustments
i agree in a seperate thermo/hygro but i have found the electronics accurate and find very few people complain about them

they are also adjustable. the olderversions require manipilation of small switches. the instructions are available, the newer models are much simpler

Back
Top Bottom