Status
Not open for further replies.
Sex Link #1, Pullet, Week 8
100_0747-2.jpg

Sex Link #2, Pullet, Week 8
100_0777-2.jpg

Ok Folks, here it is, the "Cheat Sheet" for Progressive Chick Pic Submissions
big_smile.png

We're looking to compile a photographic database that will eventually be searchable by key words, etc in order to help people identify the breed and/or sex of their birds. We encourage ALL BYC members to submit photos for the project... you don't have to be a pro, just follow these simple guidelines.
big_smile.png

If you have a breed that you can follow from beginning to end, please let us know! If you only have a picture of a certain age... that's fine too!

Basic Guidelines:

1) Must have breed, age, color, sex (if known) with submission.
2) Use a grey or a contrasting color background that is as light as possible.
3) Have one good side picture.
4) Include legs and feet in picture.
5) Have one good mostly front head shot showing comb.
6) Have one good side head shot showing wattles.
7) Minimum 800 pixels wide.

Ages of pictures:

1) egg (with a ruler if possible)
2) birthday or one day old
3) one week old
4) two weeks old
5) three weeks ??? *** we can skip this one week if you want... your thoughts?
6) four weeks old
7) eight weeks old
8) 12 weeks old
9) full grown

If you need help with blurry pics... see here: Tips for Picture Taking

Here are some examples of what to shoot for and what to avoid....

Here's an example of a good shot.... Nice side view, whole body including feet.

right.jpg

And a good shot of the comb

comb.jpg

Here are examples of what to AVOID......

Cropped out feet and tail....

bad.jpg

Blurry image...... Turn on your Macro setting (usually a little flower icon) or step back at least a few feet...

blurry.jpg

We are starting with some of the more frequently asked about breeds...... don't worry if you don't see yours on the lists! You can still submit!!!
big_smile.png

The public site that anyone can upload photos to is www.photobucket.com/BYCUploadChickPhotos There is no password!

For anyone not completely sure how to use the photobucket site to upload photos for this project here are some tips, and don't hesitate to pm kbobulski with questions.

You need an account in photobucket, so if you don't have one already you will have to sign up. Sign into your account and then go to www.photobucket.com/BYCUploadChickPhotos

Somewhere
on the left side it says add to favorites. Do that so you can easily find the site the next time you log into photobucket.

Once you are on that site all you have to do is click the button in the middle of the screen at the top that says "upload now" and it will walk you through uploading your photos.

No password is needed!

Have fun!

If anyone is putting photos up there for us to use please include the breed, color, sex and age of the chick in the photo's title.

Please refer to the following lists for info.

Sorry I have been MIA. On top of being swamped by kids and home life... my camera broke and is currently at the shop getting repaired (fingers crossed
fl.gif
that it is a warranty covered repair!) so I haven't been able to get any good pics
sad.png
Hopefully I will be back in the game soon. I will get with Potria soon to start getting that list tackled
smile.png

I don't know if anyone had mentioned, as I haven't the time to read the whole thread, but MPC has 3 day old pics of almost all their breeds. Doesn't show the older progression pics but the chicks pics are clear and from 2 angles.
smile.png

MPC? Sorry if the newbie is coming out in me
smile.png

OK, I have made some changes to my sample page to try and give us a starting point to critique and make changes from. Of course photo bucket isn't helping. It is insisting on uploading full size images of some of the pictures, even though the image size in photobucket is a thumbnail. I need to try completely reloading pics into a different folder or something, but I still have some questions for you.

PLEASE take the time to look and make your suggestions.

My main question is whether having the photos framed with a title inside the frame is worth the effort or not at this point. We can always go back and do it later, or we can slowly plug through the photos as we go and get it all done up front. It will just take a lot longer to get things up and running.

I'm just not sure if the frames are really worth it or not. It does take a lot of time, even with the automated stuff in photobucket, since each photo is a different size it requires a different size frame, and of course the titles are different for each photo.

Upside to the framed photo is that the animal in the photo and the person who submitted the photo are identified inside the photo itself. (But this also makes corrections more difficult).

The site is. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=11598-Ameraucana

OK
, so now the thumbnails are showing up fine. grrrr.

Anyway. Please let me know what you think about the frames.

My goal with the photos was to have the progression of chicks come up as thumbnails with any holes marked with a basic "photo needed" image or "photo coming soon" image.

Then have the colors all listed with their corresponding pictures or the place holder "photo needed" or "coming soon" images.

I, personally, think that if we can get pages built sooner, rather than later, for breeds that we have a number of photos for and make it clear what we still need with the place holder images then people will be more interested/able to help us fill in the holes.

I know I don't have a couple of the info spots filled in for the Ameraucanas. Bear with me. Really really really rough week. Monday will be much better
smile.png
But I know a lot of you were hoping to get back on this project over the weekend so I wanted to get up as much as possible tonight.

Is this post long enough for you???? LOL!

Kendra

That's nice
smile.png
I like the border and lettering, though I do think it should be white lettering on black. I can;t see the pics big wnough to see what you have written... but I do like that style. I think if we create a PSD in PS you can just switch out the photos and change the text without working from scratch. We can talk more about that later
smile.png
I think we should keep all of the images a uniform height or width determined by how we intend to list them... in a row or in a column. I can go work on that PSD.

Here's a larger copy of the image (one of them anywayz
smile.png
)

AmeraucanaHen8weekBlueWheaten-Chili.jpg

Yours looks so much nicer than mine!!
smile.png

I like having the contributor listed in the frame, and the color if we can

Having a standard photo size is going to be a bit difficult because of the various photos that are being submitted, but if we can make it work, great!

Kendra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom