Having progressive pictures to help ID chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea but am I missing something? Where is the thread or is this only in the development stages?

Gate

I see Guitartists is working on it. Its a great idea. Right now all I have are chicks 3-7 weeks old. I may have some pictures of the following somewhere.

Welsummer
Speckled Sussex
Salmon Favarolle
Buttercups
Buckeyes
Gold Lakenvalders
Porcelain D' Uccle

Last edited:
Development stage... still gathering images and ideas
smile.png

Gatekeeper - if you read through our "rules" page (linked thru my signature below) we would love to have you take pictures of the chicks you have now at the proper ages and we'd love to see the other pictures you listed you might be able to find.

With everyone's help this will be a fantastic tool for all of us to use when it's put together.

You can post pictures on this thread or the general photobucket site.

I just had my first silkies hatch from my "show quality" breeding pairs. I've had bad luck with my hatches over the last month, but these guys look healthy, so hopefully I'll have some silkie pics for us!!

I'm off to take week 4 (I think, havta check) pictures of all my other birds. It takes a while
smile.png
lol

Kendra

PS I think I get to do this batch without "help" from the 2 yo! Plus it's only 74 degrees here today. woooooohoooooo

Kendra - It would be great to have pictures of show Silkies, we can also use pictures of hatchery Silkies to show people the differences as many people ask about show Silkie vs. Hatchery Silkies. Mine are definitely just Hatchery Silkies.

I don't know how you can possible take pictures of chicks without the help of a 2 yr. old?
gig.gif

I found that if I take my chicks to an area they've never been to before (especially inside somewhere), almost all of them just stand there trying to figure out where they are and I can get some good pictures. It doesn't work with Guineas though... they don't stop for anything!

Chirpy only problem, I bought some of my birds as chicks the others I hatched. So I wont have complete pictures at this time. However if someone else has pictures that would work with my set they are more than welcome to them.

Gate

Maybe we should dump the whole neutral background thing... I don't we will get as many pics that way... but I definitely think that as we get pics that adhere to the guidelines as far as pose we should replace pics etc.

If the only pic we can get ahold of is a shot of a chicken that doesn't show the feet and half the tail is cropped out of the pic, it IS better than nothing..... BUT, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if we could at least convince folks to send us full body shots, from the side, top and then comb shot, etc.
smile.png
I think the success of this venture really lies in having uniformity. Feathersite is great..... but it's hard to compare birds sometimes because the pics are like this and that and parts and pieces and all different poses.

Yes, I am a bit OCD!!! LMAO

Guitartists - I agree with you totally on both counts.

1) Any clear picture is better than no picture of that breed/age/sex.

2) As the years go by, better pictures that adhere to our 'standards' can be switched with the pictures that aren't as close to what we are aiming for. There are some great pictures of chicks/chickens on grass that will work perfectly until, and/or if, we chose to replace them someday with pictures with the standard background we are trying to maintain.

So, many of the pictures that I've input on the Googledocs site from people don't totally conform but will work wonderfully until we get other pictures that do conform more closely.

Gatekeeper said:
So I wont have complete pictures at this time.

That's perfectly fine. Send us what you have and other people may/will have pictures to fill in the ages/sexes that you don't have. If everyone on BYC only sent in one or two pictures, we end up with what we need/want by putting them all together.​

I am finding out that as the chicks get older it is much harder to get pics on a neutral background, plus I was having trouble getting the lighter chicks to show up so I switched to blue and it's not the same. I think we're better off getting what we can, as you have all said!

I have fully intended to take pictures for each week/stage of my new chicks (now about 5 weeks old). It hasn't happened. The pullets got done one week, roos the next, whatever I could do. I still have an ungodly number of "chick pics" on my computer! haha

I need to update the googledoc page!
smile.png

Kendra

BUMP ... We need your pictures people. Please help us out by submitting good whole side shots, front head shots, side head shots, top shots and upside down shots (just kidding on that one
big_smile.png
), I wanted to see if you're really reading this.

We need you to submit them with the breed, age and sex (if known).

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom