Having to build a NEW Coop for my chickens. Want ideas and designs.

I don't know how many chickens you have, but I have built a 2x6 hutch with a 2' ceiling that houses 15 medium chickens comfortably. Materials and paint were about 120.00. If you don't insist on a human being able to fit inside the chicken house it cuts your bill of materials considerably. Mine is in GA where the temperatures don't drop lower than about 20F in the winter and the largest predator I have to deal with is a coyote. If you have to deal with bears and blizzards you may need a walk-in coop.

I don't know how many chickens you have, but I have built a 2x6 hutch with a 2' ceiling that houses 15 medium chickens comfortably. Materials and paint were about 120.00. If you don't insist on a human being able to fit inside the chicken house it cuts your bill of materials considerably. Mine is in GA where the temperatures don't drop lower than about 20F in the winter and the largest predator I have to deal with is a coyote. If you have to deal with bears and blizzards you may need a walk-in coop.

Do you let your birds out to free range?

Nate

Yes. They rotate between 20x20 outdoor runs. The hutch is on wheels, so when they tear up the grass I push it to the next run.

I don't know how many chickens you have, but I have built a 2x6 hutch with a 2' ceiling that houses 15 medium chickens comfortably. Materials and paint were about 120.00. If you don't insist on a human being able to fit inside the chicken house it cuts your bill of materials considerably. Mine is in GA where the temperatures don't drop lower than about 20F in the winter and the largest predator I have to deal with is a coyote. If you have to deal with bears and blizzards you may need a walk-in coop.

I plan on having walk in access my roost so far is 8x8 for 25chickens and i easily high enough for me to walk in, it has a slanted roof for water run of and i live in Australia with my only predators being foxes, which haven't been around in about 1 year and a few eagle/hawks.

Back
Top Bottom