having trouble introducing new hens to flock

I have a pretty small flock with 5 hens 2 of which are new to the flock and my older hens still aren’t use to them or dont like them. They see eachother everyday because I have my coop split, My older hens on one and my New chickens on the other.They are about the same size, I dont get why they don't bond. Any tips??:)

M.C
Today at 10:05 PM
Hello and Welcome,
Information from a previous post of mine.
The process of new bird introductions takes time patience, consistancy and can be done safely with no injuries of deaths of birds. I have had chickens for over 12yrs and hand reared 8 broods in that time. I have found the best way to introduce new birds to an established flock it to have a cage within a coop. Put your new birds in the cage with water feed nest box and keep them in it for at least 6 weeks. Cant fit a cage? Divide the coop with chicken wire creating a separate space. This allows all the birds to see each other but prevents attacks that can injure and kill birds. Most just let them fight it out but this is cruel and birds can die. We get the term hen picked for just that reason hens peck and there is a pecking order. Letting birds see and attack thru the cage allows everyone to remain safe and all birds get used to each other. It also establishes a territory for the new chicks to control and feel safe in. This cage is the new birds safe place to run to. If new birds have no where to run and be safe they just run around terrified all the time. Like us being chased by a mugger and every door is locked no place but a wall to run to and there are more robbers joining the first one. After six weeks for about a week to ten days allow the cage to be open for a few hours then lock up the new birds again. If you see attacks happen lock new birds in for longer time. Once attempts at day attacks are stopped Lock the new birds in cage to roost at night. After about three weeks of locking birds in for night try leaving the cage open all the time but do not remove the cage. Having a safe place to go to and having a safe roosting place for new birds is important. Since they have their own territory they can defend themselves in stay safe. Once you see all birds are roosting together are getting along you can remove the inner cage. It can take about three months to get all birds used to each other. It can be done safely, calmly, intelligently and humanely. Please take the time to do it right the first time or you can have injured or dead chickens.. Leaving them to "work it out" is easy on us but very stressful and dangerous to your flock. Imagine being chased off food and water EVERY time you try to eat and drink! Not getting warmth from other birds at night in winter. Now imagine every move you make means you get chased and pecked, now you have a bleeding injury no one can see but birds can smell.. That is now pecked and you have to fight all day and find no rest at night.. This happens until you are either starved, dehydrated bleeding badly and only when other birds figure you have learned their lesson well enough do you get rest or your human finally saves you by putting you in a separate cage. No this is no life for any animal. Do it gently your chickens will thank you for it. Let me know if this is helpful. I may have more detailed information for you. You are doing great. You are over half way there. Keep up the wonderful work you are doing

Back
Top Bottom