Having trouble regulating temperature and humidity in incubator

I'm on day 18 of my hatch and keeping the humidity above 60% for the last few hours is proving very difficult. I was wondering if someone could help me by telling me if it's ok to open the bator to add a few wet sponges at this stage or is it too late?

Well humidity been staying around 80 in my Little Giant Still Air Incubator. Temp 95-99F. Having seen all eggs rocking off and on....good sign....Two we just notice some cracking on the fat end of egg where air sacks are...is this first sign of pipping?

Well humidity been staying around 80 in my Little Giant Still Air Incubator. Temp 95-99F. Having seen all eggs rocking off and on....good sign....Two we just notice some cracking on the fat end of egg where air sacks are...is this first sign of pipping?
Sure sounds like its pipping. I personally would increase the temp to just over 100 for the high side being you got a still air unit. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
I'm on day 18 of my hatch and keeping the humidity above 60% for the last few hours is proving very difficult. I was wondering if someone could help me by telling me if it's ok to open the bator to add a few wet sponges at this stage or is it too late?
Have you got more than one water slot filled in the bottom? Always keep in mind the more water surface the higher the humidity will get. But if I needed to do something to help ----doing it on day 18 should not hurt anything! Good luck!

Sure sounds like its pipping. I personally would increase the temp to just over 100 for the high side being you got a still air unit. Good Luck!!

Temp has been holding steady at 99-100F. Humidity has been at about 75%. I'm not going mess with it other than just watch temp and humidity, adjust temp control if necessary and move plugs if needed. But for the past 6 hours it's held at the temp and humidity I just mentioned. They still wiggling every so often. So will just wait see what happens. Husband going to rig a fan for next batch when this batch done. Also got the homemade incubator leveled out which has the rest in it. Got brooder set up and waiting for babies. So now it's just the sit and wait. Thanks for the help.

Have you got more than one water slot filled in the bottom? Always keep in mind the more water surface the higher the humidity will get. But if I needed to do something to help ----doing it on day 18 should not hurt anything! Good luck!
It's a homemade incubator where I fill the whole bottom on the incubator with water and the eggs are one a platform above, I added some sponges last night and it maintained at 60% for a while but later on dropped to 54%, I have no idea what else to do!

It's a homemade incubator where I fill the whole bottom on the incubator with water and the eggs are one a platform above, I added some sponges last night and it maintained at 60% for a while but later on dropped to 54%, I have no idea what else to do!
I do not know what type meter you are using to check the humidity but if you got the whole bottom covered in water and wet sponges----I think your meter is reading low. Do you have a glass on the top to see in? If so has it got alot of condensation on it? Being you are in lock-down "I" would leave it closed(50 to 60% humidity on some meters should get you hatched)----if you need to add water---without opening it--- I would make a hole just big enough to stick a flex straw in or some way to add a little app. 100 degree water to the sponges when needed(maybe once a day) and tape the whole up or lay a coin over it if on top to close it. You need to make sure you got the incubator venting just enough to exchange some air. Wishing You The best in your hatch.

I do not know what type meter you are using to check the humidity but if you got the whole bottom covered in water and wet sponges----I think your meter is reading low. Do you have a glass on the top to see in? If so has it got alot of condensation on it? Being you are in lock-down "I" would leave it closed(50 to 60% humidity on some meters should get you hatched)----if you need to add water---without opening it--- I would make a hole just big enough to stick a flex straw in or some way to add a little app. 100 degree water to the sponges when needed(maybe once a day) and tape the whole up or lay a coin over it if on top to close it. You need to make sure you got the incubator venting just enough to exchange some air. Wishing You The best in your hatch.

I bought a brand new fan assisted incubator lid on ebay and put it on top of an ordinary plastic box, I've added sponges and a layer of cotton wool to aborb the water, at the moment it is staying on 61% but it does keep dropping, I also have a pipe to add the water, here are a few photos of the incubator

Last edited:
I bought a brand new fan assisted incubator lid on ebay and put it on top of an ordinary plastic box, I've added sponges and a layer of cotton wool to aborb the water, at the moment it is staying on 61% but it does keep dropping, I also have a pipe to add the water, here are a few photos of the incubator
Looks like there is alot of humidity in the box. Have you put another humidity meter in the incubator to compare them?

Back
Top Bottom